Everything is thick and green BUT...

Your place to discuss ways the habitats for deer can be improved!
fatbob240

Everything is thick and green BUT...

Postby fatbob240 » Thu Jul 29, 2010 2:00 am

The deer don't seem to be eating ANY of it. I planted three plots this year (oats, rape, turnips, clover, brassicas, sugar beets) everything is doing great, there are a lot of deer tracks in and around the plots but nothing is being eaten. No agriculture in the area. Mostly swampy marshes and jack pine thickets. There is very little around the area in the form of quality food, so I'm not sure why they are not feeding in the plots.Anybody have any ideas
Goal: 1 shot= 1 kill

msbadger

RE: Everything is thick and green BUT...

Postby msbadger » Thu Jul 29, 2010 11:38 pm

give it time...the clover is probably getting hit...with out a seclusion cage sometimes it's hard to tell...depending on when the oats went in...they are more than likely past their prime for deer right now(they have a small window)...the braccs/rape beets...well here its fall for the beets and frost for the other...just in time for hunting[;)]...Good luck...PS if this is all new to them...well it could take another year for the braccs/rape for them to get use to that food source

Goose

Postby Goose » Sat Jul 31, 2010 4:23 am

I agree.
I'm sure they are being hit and if they aren't, they will be. Do you have a trail camera you can put over them to see?
Jake

Genesis 27:3 Take your bow and quiver full of arrows out into the open country, and hunt some wild game.....

fatbob240

Postby fatbob240 » Mon Aug 02, 2010 12:18 am

I had a trail camera...but it was stolen, even though it was cable locked. [:@] There is plenty of deer sign in and around the plots, but you can't see evidence of them eating anything. This is the third year for the plots and every year they have seemed to avoid them. They're in the middle of thick cover, along well worn trails (a few of the trails actually cut through the plots) and I've planted a variety of seeds. All I've seen the past two seasons has been a doe and a fawn... Same doe both years. I'm at a loss.
Goal: 1 shot= 1 kill

Return to Natural Habitat Enhancements