When to spray grasses on newly planted plot.

Your place to discuss ways the habitats for deer can be improved!
Chasin Tail

When to spray grasses on newly planted plot.

Postby Chasin Tail » Sat Jun 05, 2010 3:22 pm

I just planted about two acres of clover and chicory in what was pasture for many years. I sprayed Roundup, plowed, disced, waited a week and disked again and harrowed then planted and cultipacked. I have a good stand of clover and chicory but have a better stand of grass. the plot was planted about two weeks ago and am seeking advice on when to spray to knock down the grass. My concern is the clover and chicory may be affected by spraying for the grass while it is so young. I will be using Arrow 2EC to get rid of the grass. The grass is about 2" tall along with the clover and chicory. I appreciate any help as I don't want to kill the clover and chicory.

Thanks, Ron

Woods Walker

RE: When to spray grasses on newly planted plot.

Postby Woods Walker » Sat Jun 05, 2010 4:36 pm

You should have gotten a much better kill on that grass with the Round Up. Round Up usually gets almost a 100% kill on grass. If you disced and plowed right after spraying, that may be the reason. Round Up is a systemic herbicide, which means that it is taken in through the green parts of the plant, and needs time to travel all through the plant (usually a week or so). If you disced, then you may have separated the root from the rest of the plant before the Round Up got there, and the un-dead roots simply took hold and started growing again. Most grasses propagate via their rhizomes (root like runners...this is what forms the sod "mat") as much as if no more than via seed, so you may have actually INCREASED the amount of grass if you chopped up the un-dead root with the disc, and the "planted" them with the plow.
Hunt Hard,

Kill Swiftly,

Waste Nothing,

Offer No Apologies.....

>>>--------------------------------->
NRA Endowment Life Member

Chasin Tail

Postby Chasin Tail » Sun Jun 06, 2010 2:38 am

I had a very good kill with the roundup. After which I worked the ground waited a week and tilled again. The grass only started to come up after the clover and chicory were up. The grass I am sure came from seed that was in the ground as it has very fine blades. The area I tore up was an ideal location for a food plot and was a problem area with a lot of cheatgrass (downy brome), marijuana and other weeds I wanted to get rid of.  I am not new to farming but rather new to planting these sort of crops.

The question wasn't why the grass was there but is the month old clover and chicory mature enough to be sprayed now. Maybe it doesn't matter how young the plant are. I know I can spray Roundup ready corn and beans as soon as they emerge. 

Woods Walker

Postby Woods Walker » Sun Jun 06, 2010 6:51 am

OK...gotcha'!  I misunderstood.
Hunt Hard,

Kill Swiftly,

Waste Nothing,

Offer No Apologies.....

>>>--------------------------------->
NRA Endowment Life Member

Chasin Tail

Postby Chasin Tail » Sun Jun 06, 2010 7:54 am

No problem!!! I'm sure someone will get some good out of your post. I think I will spray in the next few days when the wind is calm. Unless I hear from someone that this is not a good idea to spray young tender clover and chicory.

JFry1969

Postby JFry1969 » Sun Jun 06, 2010 3:16 pm

I started a clover/chicory mix 2 yrs ago. Had the same problem with grass, I waited til the grass was 4 in tall then used Arrest from the Whitetail Institute. It burnt the clover a little but I think that was due to using a hand sprayer (overspraying) and killed the grass completely..Later I had broadleafs come up but was advised by the WInst. not to use Slay because it might kill the chicory so I managed them by mowing. Now my plot is thick enough that it chokes out any weeds and grass. If I was you, I would wait for the plot to get a little taller but dont let the grass get too tall (6-8 in or taller) and watch your rate. Really, its about the same as we all do to manage our row crops, just follow the label. Anyways, hope you can get something out of this and good luck.

Chasin Tail

Postby Chasin Tail » Sun Jun 06, 2010 4:12 pm

Thanks for the insight. The grass is now about 5" tall. I plan on spraying as soon as the wind cooperates. 

Goose

Postby Goose » Sun Jun 06, 2010 4:14 pm

^^^^ Agreed.
Jake

Genesis 27:3 Take your bow and quiver full of arrows out into the open country, and hunt some wild game.....

Imatreehugger

Postby Imatreehugger » Tue Jun 08, 2010 11:38 am

Hey...I'm new here. Hi!

Maybe I can offer a suggestion...if you don't mind hearing it from a woman...[:)]

The reason one may get some leaf burn on the clover could be caused from the crop oil concentrate. Some times the COC is kinda strong and may even burn a mature stand of clover/chicory. It will out grow the condition in short time with no long term side effects. Instead of crop oil I would suggest using a good Non-ionic surfactant with an active ingredient of at least 80%. This will make your mix less "hot" but just as effective on the grasses. If you use Arrow without either a COC or non-ionic surfactant the herbicide will be useless. Thanks

Chasin Tail

Postby Chasin Tail » Tue Jun 08, 2010 4:24 pm

First of all I have absolutely no problem learning form a woman, and welcome to the forum.

Thanks for the tips. I will try both and see what difference it makes. Should be a good experiment.

Next

Return to Natural Habitat Enhancements