What's your best?

Your place to discuss ways the habitats for deer can be improved!
Blazed

What's your best?

Postby Blazed » Thu Apr 29, 2010 4:40 pm

What has been the most productive food plot crop for you? Both in tonage of food, and attracting Deer?

The reason I ask is because I have 2 more acres available and want to try something new this year. I've tried turnips, rape , peas, and have clover and peas in this same area this year. But I've got open ground to use. I'm tempted to plant many things to see what they prefer, but know if I don't have enough it won't draw them, or will not last.

Goose

RE: What's your best?

Postby Goose » Fri Apr 30, 2010 2:21 am

Soybeans, in my opinion, cant be beat.
Jake

Genesis 27:3 Take your bow and quiver full of arrows out into the open country, and hunt some wild game.....

ReflexHunter

Postby ReflexHunter » Fri Apr 30, 2010 3:06 am

Chicory.  For some reason my deer love chicory and I have seen them select it over clover.  It is very drought resistant and produces a lot of food.

msbadger

Postby msbadger » Fri Apr 30, 2010 3:43 am

I have a few plots...in my own mix of jumbo wht and starfire red clovers...that I put Oasis.chicory...trefoil...and sm. Burnett in...every year the deer take it down to dirt....wish I had a bigger area to plant it in ...even though weeds are a problem...grass I can kill but broad leaf weeds are the problem here...Other than that...fall and winter I can't beat the turnips...they like beets also and that is a good mid summer green they eat..fall bulb....$$ rules me on that one[&o] 

bowman12

Postby bowman12 » Fri Apr 30, 2010 11:51 am

Rye has been our best with many other things offered, come rifle season they prefer it over anything else. We've had sunflowers, clover, turnips, buck forage oats and other things but after it's been cold for a while they seem to prefer it.

GTOHunter

Postby GTOHunter » Fri Apr 30, 2010 2:17 pm

I've seen Alfalfa fields really draw the Deer in very good,and I like the amount of plants I get from planting brassicas,rape,chicory and sugar beets too.I like to try different types of seeds and plant to see what the Deer in our area like the most....clover is a good crop to plant and it can get really thick and the Deer like it a lot also.

JPH

Postby JPH » Fri Apr 30, 2010 2:49 pm

ORIGINAL: Goose

I'm going to have to differ with my good friend Goose on this one. I live in a heavily agricultural area. Soy beans and corn are a dime a dozen around here. I do not know anyone in my area who has used clover and not been happy with the results (myself included).

I will be the first to admit that Goose has far more experience and knowlege in the area of food plots than I do, but his favorite planting would not be very productive in the Iowa/Missouri border region.

I guess maybe that is the real point. What is best for you may depend on your soil type, climate and what the deer have to choose from.

Good luck. 

SwampLife

Postby SwampLife » Fri Apr 30, 2010 6:02 pm

really? the farms we hunt in PA we dread the years that they plant beans, by the end of bow when we hunt up there they are all brown and shrivelly and the deer are next door in the corn.
No Shortcuts. No Excuses. No Regrets.

buckhunter21

Postby buckhunter21 » Tue May 04, 2010 7:48 am

I have done some research on this, and even though I have not tried them YET (planting them this year), I have heard Whitetail Institute's PowerPlant and Eagle Forage Soybeans are the best out there as far as tonnage per acre and for attractiveness...In my area anyways.  The one thing I found particularly nice about the EF Soybeans was that they are genetic freaks compared to regular 'farmer' beans.  They grow taller, they'll reproduce again at the spot that a deer may nip it off (whereas regular beans will stop growing there), and to top it off, they stay green longer.  Regular beans are meant to mature and turn brown at a particular point in time so that farmers can get them off the fields....EF Soybeans aren't meant for 'harvesting' so they stay green up till the first frost.  Sounds like a win-win situation.  Has anyone out there had experience with planting either of these?
QDM!

buckhunter21

Postby buckhunter21 » Tue May 04, 2010 7:49 am

ORIGINAL: SwampLife

really? the farms we hunt in PA we dread the years that they plant beans, by the end of bow when we hunt up there they are all brown and shrivelly and the deer are next door in the corn.

Eagle Forage Beans is your answer!
QDM!

Next

Return to Natural Habitat Enhancements