planting apple trees ?

Your place to discuss ways the habitats for deer can be improved!
#1predator

RE: planting apple trees ?

Postby #1predator » Tue May 04, 2010 2:28 pm

Last weekend we planted 6 apple trees in the middle of the property. 2 Cortlands 2 Wealthys 1Honeycrisp and 1 Wolf river. Dug the holes, staked and fenced the trees with 4 foot poultry wire. Also put mulch around to hold the moisture. I will probably be heading up there to water in a week so ill try to get some pics.

Bryan78

Postby Bryan78 » Wed May 05, 2010 5:06 am

ORIGINAL: buckhunter21

All good points here.  I'm new to this apple tree planting myself.  I am buying four crabapple trees tonight and putting them in this weekend.  They are about 5 feet tall.  Any advice?  I got this down so far:  [ul][*]Plant in a sunny spot
[*]Protect them from browsing till they reach maturity
[*]Fertilize (bought fertilizer spikes)[/ul]
If anyone has anything else please feel free to add.  One thing I do have to do is put up a fence to protect from browsing.  Any suggestions on what to use and where to purchase?  One of my friends suggested a snow fence...But was thinking that I would need something a little taller?  Hm. 

You might want to hold off on the fertilizer spikes for now.  I've been told it is not good to put spikes in when you first plant a tree.  When you plant those trees they will become stressed and might even go dormant.  I planted a tree (non-apple) last August and a week later it lost its leaves and went dormant.  It made it through the winter and now has leaves. 

Also is your soil clay?  If it is, then be VERY CAREFUL when you water it, because the water will have a hard time draining away and you could very easily drown the tress.  I have done this to two trees (non-apple).

Don't be discourage if your trees die.  I know how frustrating it can be if they do but you learn from your mistakes and you will succeed, best of luck on them.

msbadger

Postby msbadger » Wed May 05, 2010 11:17 am

While on errands today I went looking for a nursery and pulled into the wrong place...I said but your a nursery right...yep whole sale...but do you have fruit trees? actually yes we do and they are 15.00 a piece...3 year old potted semi dwarf apples for 15.00 ! some were already flowering..and in plant and ago go pots....I had the small car and he said come back on a rain day...we shook hands and I will be going back...maybe tomorrow to pick up a couple...he was already out of all his cherries..apricots..plums..and pears...but there is always next year...I'll have to make a dunkin donut run on the way[;)]

paulie

Postby paulie » Wed May 05, 2010 5:08 pm

You might want to hold off on the fertilizer spikes for now.

Yes I was told, you should not fertilize the first year they are planted (dont recall the reason). The lady I spoke with (at the nursery), said, you should wait at least a year before 'feeding' them.

buckhunter21

Postby buckhunter21 » Thu May 13, 2010 8:03 am

ORIGINAL: Bryan78

All good points here.  I'm new to this apple tree planting myself.  I am buying four crabapple trees tonight and putting them in this weekend.  They are about 5 feet tall.  Any advice?  I got this down so far: 
[ul][*]Plant in a sunny spot
[*]Protect them from browsing till they reach maturity
[*]Fertilize (bought fertilizer spikes)[/ul]

If anyone has anything else please feel free to add.  One thing I do have to do is put up a fence to protect from browsing.  Any suggestions on what to use and where to purchase?  One of my friends suggested a snow fence...But was thinking that I would need something a little taller?  Hm. 

You might want to hold off on the fertilizer spikes for now.  I've been told it is not good to put spikes in when you first plant a tree.  When you plant those trees they will become stressed and might even go dormant.  I planted a tree (non-apple) last August and a week later it lost its leaves and went dormant.  It made it through the winter and now has leaves. 

Also is your soil clay?  If it is, then be VERY CAREFUL when you water it, because the water will have a hard time draining away and you could very easily drown the tress.  I have done this to two trees (non-apple).

Don't be discourage if your trees die.  I know how frustrating it can be if they do but you learn from your mistakes and you will succeed, best of luck on them.

Thanks for the advice.  I didn't put any spikes in them till the fall last year so think I was good on that part. 

One thing to note though, my two cardinal crabapples have not leaved at all yet this year.  Very weird.  All my other trees have leaved fully or are getting there.  Does anyone know if maybe they are still dormant and will hit their stride soon?  They were fine all last summer, and then lost their leaves like normal last fall.  The crabapple trees in front of them are doing great....Flowering very nicely!  Just wonder what could be wrong with these two....I have a 'warranty' on them that is a year that will be going up here soon.  If they die you just dig them up and bring them in and they give you new ones, BUT, I don't want to dig them up if they are alive still.  Kind of torn. 

Yes, we do have clay soil. 
QDM!

Ohio farms

Postby Ohio farms » Thu May 13, 2010 9:42 am

Hope you are not feeding deer with Honeycrisps. Best eating apples ever.
Keep life simple...if you hear hoofbeats, think horses, not zebras.

Bryan78

Postby Bryan78 » Thu May 13, 2010 2:46 pm

Thanks for the advice.  I didn't put any spikes in them till the fall last year so think I was good on that part. 

One thing to note though, my two cardinal crabapples have not leaved at all yet this year.  Very weird.  All my other trees have leaved fully or are getting there.  Does anyone know if maybe they are still dormant and will hit their stride soon?  They were fine all last summer, and then lost their leaves like normal last fall.  The crabapple trees in front of them are doing great....Flowering very nicely!  Just wonder what could be wrong with these two....I have a 'warranty' on them that is a year that will be going up here soon.  If they die you just dig them up and bring them in and they give you new ones, BUT, I don't want to dig them up if they are alive still.  Kind of torn. 

Chances are that they are dead otherwise they should have leaved by now,  (could have been cold weather that killed them).  Since you still have warranty on them I would go ahead get the new trees. 

Now when you dug your holes did you dig far enough around and mixed in some top or potting soil?  If not, then when you plant the new trees dig a much larger hole and mix some potting or top soil and plant with at least 1 1/2 inches of the root ball above the ground so that water can get to it and drain away at the same time.

Good Luck!!!!!

fasteddie

Postby fasteddie » Thu May 13, 2010 3:06 pm

[size=100]My son planted several apple trees on his hunting property . He used a lot of rich compost during the planting . His problem was the deer chewing on them . He protected the main stem but the deer came in and chewed on the branches . We even planted some using stakes with 4' high chicken wire around them . About 1/2 the trees survived . They definately need sunlight .
He had some older trees that weren't getting much light so we cut down some other trees to let light in and pruned the apple trees . That fall , they had apples ./size]
Semper Fi !

scottflesher

Postby scottflesher » Fri Jun 04, 2010 2:39 pm

I found this post very helpful. My father and I have been trying to get apple trees to grow for years with very limited success. Thanks for the advice.

buckhunter21

Postby buckhunter21 » Tue Jun 29, 2010 11:36 am

ORIGINAL: Bryan78

Chances are that they are dead otherwise they should have leaved by now,  (could have been cold weather that killed them).  Since you still have warranty on them I would go ahead get the new trees. 

Now when you dug your holes did you dig far enough around and mixed in some top or potting soil?  If not, then when you plant the new trees dig a much larger hole and mix some potting or top soil and plant with at least 1 1/2 inches of the root ball above the ground so that water can get to it and drain away at the same time.

Good Luck!!!!!

Thanks for the info.  We returned them.  We dug a hole originally about twice the size of the rootball, but used regular soil that was already there from digging the hole.  This time around, we have bought a few bags of compost/manure mixture and will mix that 50/50 with dirt. 
QDM!

Previous

Return to Natural Habitat Enhancements