Deer Beds

Your place to discuss ways the habitats for deer can be improved!
Deadon

Deer Beds

Postby Deadon » Thu Oct 22, 2009 2:24 am

Does anyone know anything about creating buck beds on your property? 

ranwin33

RE: Deer Beds

Postby ranwin33 » Thu Oct 22, 2009 3:59 am

You should let the deer do it. [:)]

I don't think this is something you can create, and then expect deer to use the bedding.  You would probably be better off trying to create sanctuary area that you do not enter.  If you have timber, do some heavy cutting over a few acres to let sunlight get to the ground, then let the area get brushy and overgrown.  Maybe do some hinge cutting on some of the trees.
“There are two spiritual dangers in not owning a farm. One is the danger of supposing that breakfast comes from the grocery, and the other that heat comes from the furnace.”
Aldo Leopold

Deadon

Postby Deadon » Thu Oct 22, 2009 8:36 am

Well on 500 acres, they bed everywhere.  That's the rub.  I know their are professionals who create
buck beds with great success, but I don't know how.  I have been working on different ideas, but was
just wondering if anyone else had any sucess with it.  Four posts with a pallet on top, three sides
protected and the forth open facing down wind seems to work.  Placement in natural bedding areas
helps also.  I have been trying to pull them out of the sanctuary areas also.  I have at least 80-120
acres I don't allow human scent, ever.  But, it's a new game i'm playing.  Always having fun with the
deer herd.  You know[:)]

ranwin33

Postby ranwin33 » Thu Oct 22, 2009 9:01 am

Good luck with it and let us know how it goes.

If you get some 1200 thread count sheets, I'll come and bed in one. [:)]
“There are two spiritual dangers in not owning a farm. One is the danger of supposing that breakfast comes from the grocery, and the other that heat comes from the furnace.”
Aldo Leopold

JPA

Postby JPA » Sat Oct 24, 2009 11:34 am

There is a consultant in Michigan which teaches this, but the people that have gone through and paid for his course are not encouraged to share the tricks so are pretty tight lipped about them.

I haven't tried anything, but I think some options involve creating beds in areas that make the buck feel secure.  For example, on a hill overlooking low land, basically using predominate winds and cover .  As far as the actual creation of the beds I have heard discussion of hinge cutting as well as actually bending over small trees and tying them in that position with a rope.  From what I can gather it seems like the buck beds should have cover almost entirely around them (including on top). 

But remember I haven't taken the training and these suggestions do not come with first hand experience.

bowhuntingbiker

Postby bowhuntingbiker » Sat Oct 24, 2009 5:33 pm

I have heard of hinge cutting before, but what is that? Never heard of making deer beds though. Thanks, BHB

Deadon

Postby Deadon » Sun Oct 25, 2009 11:58 am

Hinge cutting involves cutting a tree about 1/3 the way thru, and than up and down a ways so the tree can be bent over and continues to live for a number of years.
If it's done correctly, the tree will grow vertical branches for a number of years; actually added to the under growth and density of the area.
The bucks will always look for these thick areas to bed. The problem is; if you have 100's of acres of this type of heavy cover, you need to be able to pattern the bucks.
Building deer beds in specific locations helps to this end. I have found that an artificial bed with a canopy works better than a natural bed. They like overhead cover in the
hot summer, and if they use the bed in the summer, they will stay with that bed in the fall and winter. I also noticed they keep the heavy cover at their back side and looking
down wind. I don't have any hills by me, so I don't have to worry about that aspect. I have also noticed that the big bucks are always as far from anything human as they
can be (ATV Trails, homes, roads, cabins, tower stands, ect...). I have been working on these beds for 2 or 3 years now, and find the task is mentally rewarding. Well, any
help or info from other hunters would always help the learning curve.

bowhuntingbiker

Postby bowhuntingbiker » Sun Oct 25, 2009 4:38 pm

Thanks Deadon. BHB

hunt4fun

Postby hunt4fun » Sun Oct 25, 2009 7:29 pm

I think the first step to making buck beds is to locate major doe beddiing areas.  After you do this, take into consideration predominant wind directions, or the right wind for you to be able to hunt and intercept that buck when he is on the look out for does.  Once you have taken this into consideration, design the buck bedding area on the downwind side of the doe bedding area for the wind you can hunt.  I don't know much about the design of the actual bed anymore than what has already been stated, but one thing to possibly consider is a "window" so that the bucks can see the doe bedding area from where you want them to bed.  A lot of times, if a buck can see a doe, but can't smell it, he is still apt to come in and check her, so by providing him with a means to visually watch for does, you will give yourself another way to get that buck to come towards you, and also be able to hunt with crosswinds that may be more beneficial to your set up.

Deadon

Postby Deadon » Mon Oct 26, 2009 1:52 am

I have actually discovered that the doe beds change depending on the time of year. i.e. In spring, they will bed in their birthing area; early summer, close to green food sorces, summer, where ever they want, late summer, close to beans and other ag. food, ect... The buck always seems to travel back to his "home" bed. The mature bucks any way. During the rut, they may bed near does, I don't know for sure. I do see the buck beds been used all year, and the doe beds changing from season to season.

The only time I have seen bucks change their bed sight, all things remaining constant, is the use of a low, damp or even wet area, if it really gets hot in the middle of summer. It's almosy like the Wisconsin/Florida thing for humans.

I'v had does bed right in the food plot, when the crop is at it's peak. The only time i've seen a buck do that is during the rut. If the doe beds down in the corn, or milo, or sorgum, or whatever, the buck will bed with her also, until she is bred.

Any other observations or thoughts?

Next

Return to Natural Habitat Enhancements