Deer Beds

Your place to discuss ways the habitats for deer can be improved!
swamp ghost

RE: Deer Beds

Postby swamp ghost » Sat Dec 05, 2009 2:46 pm

found the pics:

Image Image

The year I graduated from high school I caught 88 Fox, 235 Muskrats, 18 Mink, and 135 Raccoons in 60 days. I used the money to buy our farm that Lesa and I still live at today. These pictures are not even half of what I caught in 60 days.
~Tony Lapratt

ranwin33

Postby ranwin33 » Mon Dec 07, 2009 3:06 am

ORIGINAL: swamp ghost

found the pics:

Image Image

The year I graduated from high school I caught 88 Fox, 235 Muskrats, 18 Mink, and 135 Raccoons in 60 days. I used the money to buy our farm that Lesa and I still live at today. These pictures are not even half of what I caught in 60 days.
~Tony Lapratt

Fur prices a little higher back then, or land prices cheaper?

I've often wanted to start trapping, but since we don't live on our farm I wouldn't be able to check the trap lines frequently enough.
“There are two spiritual dangers in not owning a farm. One is the danger of supposing that breakfast comes from the grocery, and the other that heat comes from the furnace.”
Aldo Leopold

swamp ghost

Postby swamp ghost » Mon Dec 07, 2009 4:40 am

ORIGINAL: ranwin33

Fur prices a little higher back then, or land prices cheaper?

I've often wanted to start trapping, but since we don't live on our farm I wouldn't be able to check the trap lines frequently enough.

Both, lol.

jsjandro

Postby jsjandro » Tue Dec 08, 2009 11:17 am

i made all my bedding with a chainsaw. that is, the bedding deer didnt already use, like the horizontal tree. that i saw by happenstance get used while on stand in sight of it during the rut midday. my property is thick as it is though, an aging clearcut of aspen and others.  planting hemlock where moisture holding soils are is excellent bedding, especially bordering slews of redtwig. cedars work great too, and firs, but the problems with deer eatting them before they establish is one you will likely encounter if you got too many deer in your woods.  most people dont think they do in wisconie, but then they try to plant these species and the deer destroy them - wonder why??[:)][8|]

if you are trying to build sancuarys, first cut the doe herd down big time, if not out of the picture all together. i know that is harsh but bucks will move in and if you have any neighbors that dont shoot does around you wont skip a beat. you will have theirs move right in. trust me, your gonna need the help that few deer offer to plant trees. deer use the best cover and food available, period. they spiral out and find it, thats why they say "plant it and they will come."  they can destroy your conif plantings in one winter, depending on its size of course. remember, every deer eats 2-3% of its body wieght and in a year that averages one ton per deer.  they eat a lot!!!
only if we had antler point restrictions...:(

try not to become a man of success, but a man of value.

ColdBowhunter

Postby ColdBowhunter » Wed Dec 09, 2009 4:43 am

i was told to clear some land on the south side of a hill and plant it with tall native grass.  here in the north they love to lay under red pines.  but i've found beds on top of rocks in the middle of flat ground with a few pines around.  those big bucks are going to bed where they feel safe.
Hunting is Hunting. Just get out there and do it!!!

duderanch

Postby duderanch » Fri Dec 18, 2009 12:54 pm

You can definitely make beds for deer. I attended a bootcamp for it not too long ago and learned a lot of good information. Deer hunting is a science and you can make it as complex as you want it. First you have to think like a deer, not a predator. There are several things you have to consider:

1. Make a mature buck bed about the size of a car (deer like seclusion and don't bed with does or fawns or small bucks)
2. Make a buck bed in a V or U shape with timber on the back side of the bed and an opening on the other side for deer escape
3. Ideally, face the bed pointing East or South as this is primarily where deer bed due to getting more warmth from the sun
4. Face the opening of the bed downwind, deer use beds faced this way for easy escape
5. Place beds on certain areas: ridges, benches, drainages, low spots, high spots.
6. Place some type of cover over the trees either place for the bed in the V or U shape for cover--you can use cedar or any ever green or simply pull over saplings and tie them to other logs or stakes on the ground
7. Plant seed for or place beds inside some type of grass like SG.
8. Throw some seed that are throw and grow type like rye, oats or wheat for food.

Buck beds should be placed where there's food, cover and water.

Relentless

Postby Relentless » Fri Dec 18, 2009 2:01 pm

Deadon, this is merely a suggestion but, if the deer are already bedding on your property you have it made.  Keeping human scent off of 80-120 acres is good but, that could be where a lot of action is.  Get a stand or a few in there and only hunt it during the rut when you know the action has started.  I always save my best spots for the rut.  Turn you energy from creating beds to funnels and I would assume your success will show your efforts.
Bucks and does alike, if I ever lose the rush leading up to and after a kill, I will hang it up. Knowing me, that will never happen.

duderanch

Postby duderanch » Fri Dec 18, 2009 2:09 pm

I agree with relentless...hunt the funnels and try to make them out of brush or anything you can find.

However, even though you might have deer bedding areas they can definitely be improved and increase deer rutting activity as well as the number of bucks on your property.

I have a lot of bedding areas too but some of those areas I know only does bed primarily. I know this from scouting and finding their poop as well as finding the bes all together. You can and should stragically locate and place buck beds. A lot of bedding area is thick however, a lot of it on my property and I expect yours as well does not necessarily have a lot of fallen trees for cover when bedding. Do you have grass around them and food close by. If you do these things you will see more bucks. I understand where you're coming from dead on and I like your approach. I too try to use EVERY acre of my property by stragically manipulating it and developing it into deer paradise. I take out EVERY shade tree I can like maples or useless trees like sweetgum. I plant shrubs that deer love like wild plum, apples. crabapples, dogwood that none of my neighbors have. Build it and they will come!

Wolf River Hunter

Postby Wolf River Hunter » Sat Dec 19, 2009 4:28 am

I have a 20 acre marsh, lots of grass and cattails and 2 "fingers" of timber run into it (kinda like giving the peace sign with your hand) The grass gives cover but there isn't much cover from timber or fallen trees. I'd like to thicken it up a bit but don't want to go random with a chainsaw. Any suggestions or tips on falling trees? How high off the ground do you want the trees? Should they be flat on the round or hinge cut on the stump so the stay elevated? Also, when you talk about the V and U shapes, does the cover form an actual V (touches in back) or is it more of a \  /  (open in back)? Do you try to put a roof over it with branches and sticks or is it just side cover?

I'm in a river bottom so I have some spring flooding, any suggestions on shrubs, bushes, trees to plant that can sustain a couple of wet months? Any tips...greatly appreciated!

duderanch

Postby duderanch » Sat Dec 19, 2009 5:10 am

Try to find some high spots in the marsh where you can build a buck bed. Some people take a high spot and bring in wooden palates and cover them with soil to build mounds. This would take a lot of time so if you can find another alternative that would be better.

The fingers are likely solutions. I make the beds with a closed back with the opening face downwind. If you can't face them downwind, then place them crosswind, but not upwind. Ideally, face them towards the east or south for more sun exposure.

Yes, you want some sort of cover. You can be creative. For instance, place the bed beside cedar or pine trees. Their branches can act as cover. Better yet, you can pull the cedars over by tying nylon rope to their trunk towards the top of the tree and pull it over so that it forms a cover over the bed. Tie it to any of the larger branches you used to created your bed or even stake it to the ground. The tree will live for many years and act as a living cover.

Most shrubs do well in your conditions as long as it's not wet during the growing season (spring and summer). However, shrubs more tolerant to flooding include cypress, silky dogwood, nine bark, button bush, elderberry, chokeberry, swamp oaks, and viburnum.

PreviousNext

Return to Natural Habitat Enhancements