soft mast and nut trees

Your place to discuss ways the habitats for deer can be improved!
msbadger

soft mast and nut trees

Postby msbadger » Fri Jan 30, 2009 4:09 pm

OK...dont post when tired[8|]....lol

msbadger

RE: soft mast and nut trees

Postby msbadger » Fri Jan 30, 2009 4:12 pm

So what fruit and nut trees and bushes do you all plant?

John1961

Postby John1961 » Fri Jan 30, 2009 10:49 pm

I hunt private property here in Indiana and our hunting club leases land in Southern Maryland. So no planting for me, besides most of the land around us is corn fields. No need to plant. Wish I had my own place to plant a plot tho. 
John
U.S. Army Retired and Proud American
Black Water Hunting Club
" BUY AMERICAN "

msbadger

Postby msbadger » Sat Jan 31, 2009 1:21 am

John....you may be surprised at what wild fruits you may have on the land you hunt......a little fertalizer spread around berry batches and placed in the drip zone of wild fruit and nut trees has been known to give them just enough "umph" to bring the deer and turkey in from other food sources...and even have them pick one tree over another
  Before I started planting ...it amazed me the differant wild plants I discovered on our lands....Goose berries and currents...wild apples...plum...cherry...red and blk berries...elderberries...hickory and blk walnuts...blueberry...all deer turkey and bear attractors.....

John1961

Postby John1961 » Sat Jan 31, 2009 1:32 am

I'm wanting to start shed hunting after the snow is gone and also look for a new spot for my stand. The son of the land owned says there are some nut trees farther back in the woods so that is where I'll look the most. Thanks for the advice MsBadger.
John
U.S. Army Retired and Proud American
Black Water Hunting Club
" BUY AMERICAN "

Jdbllung

Postby Jdbllung » Sat Jan 31, 2009 7:45 am

We've planted alot of apple trees over the last few years around the camp.  We can't plant any trees in the actual hunt area because it's managed timber property.  Lots of nut trees already exist.
Happiness is a good blood trail! Jeremy W.

msbadger

Postby msbadger » Fri Feb 06, 2009 4:40 am

I,m surprised not more have posted...tree and shrub planting is an important part of habitat management..IMO...anyways beside some of the things We have growing wild I've planted
 Mulberry...persimmon...chineses chestnut...filberts....Eng. walnut.....plum...seabuckthorn...bush cherry...peach...pear...heritage rasp. kiwi...grape...quince...sasafrass...mancherian apricot and bitter sweet...pine for cover...tried paw paw but just could keep the soil nuetral enough ...Ithink

OHhunter

Postby OHhunter » Fri Feb 06, 2009 12:06 pm

ORIGINAL: msbadger

I,m surprised not more have posted...tree and shrub planting is an important part of habitat management..IMO...anyways beside some of the things We have growing wild I've planted
Mulberry...persimmon...chineses chestnut...filberts....Eng. walnut.....plum...seabuckthorn...bush cherry...peach...pear...heritage rasp. kiwi...grape...quince...sasafrass...mancherian apricot and bitter sweet...pine for cover...tried paw paw but just could keep the soil nuetral enough ...Ithink

Do the deer like the chinese chestnut?
Brad

HUNT HARD, SHOOT STRAIGHT, CLEAN KILL APOLOGIZE TO NO ONE

gunther89

Postby gunther89 » Fri Feb 06, 2009 2:53 pm

We have alot of apple trees on our property.  The deer were still digging to get to him through the snow until it got to deep and ice had formed over them.  Also we have what are called bitter nuts where we hunt too.  The deer are eating those right now with all the snow around and they are a softer nut then the hickory nut.  They also taste bitter but must have some sort of protein or nutrients since the deer are eating them.

msbadger

Postby msbadger » Sat Feb 07, 2009 2:22 am

The chestnut trees here have had weather and deer set backs ...but sprang up alot last year so no mast yet BUT...We had too at the home we had before this and the deer would leave the corn fields near by to get the chest nuts in the back yard....we lived in town then....they do make a mess though hulls pop open dropping 2 kernals but then those spiney hulls drop as well and they produce alot I planted ten trees here.

Next

Return to Natural Habitat Enhancements