soft mast and nut trees

Your place to discuss ways the habitats for deer can be improved!
zos41

RE: soft mast and nut trees

Postby zos41 » Sat Feb 07, 2009 5:57 am

I'm planting crab apples and elderberrys this spring as I can get both very cheap from the state DEC.

I also have some wild apples, cheerys and oaks that I am opening up the area under and around, than plan on putting out fertilizer around the drip lines.

Trying to get wild blackberrys and raseberrys started also. I also put out food plots of several types, Turnips and rape as a fall crop and clover are 2 of my favorates

impeach O

Postby impeach O » Thu Mar 25, 2010 4:20 pm

apple, persimmons,pear,cherries,plums,,sawtooth oaks, chestnuts, peaches and a lot of TSI to improve the existing wild apples and oaks. also cutting a lot of aspen in the winter to encourage sprouting, highbush cranberrie thickets too
my greatest fear in life is when I die my wife will sell my hunting equipment for what she thinks I spent

msbadger

Postby msbadger » Mon Apr 05, 2010 1:31 am

impeach O bye the way welcome to the boards...that sounds like our place[:)]...Our state has a program for cutting aspen ...they are paying per acre cut....short I funds though from what DEC told me...I cut them to help keep the grouse around...found out the hard way...when cutting them on the edge of a plowed field...treat the trunk...I now have a little forest of 3ft high trees growing in my plot this spring[>:]...lol

Jon H.

Postby Jon H. » Mon Apr 05, 2010 1:44 pm

Early March I fertalized some white oak trees to see if its does bring in more deer. This is my first time trying this. I used 8-8-8 , and pourd it in to little holes I made with a steal rod around the drip line. And I mark the trees with orange tape. So I can compare with other trees I didn't fertaized. So did any one try this, are did I just wasted my time and money?

SUO PROSTAFFER

Postby SUO PROSTAFFER » Mon May 31, 2010 3:34 am

I also would be curious to hear if anyone has any success fertilizing existing oak trees or apple trees on the land they hunt and if it makes a difference.  If so, when should the fertilizing be done and what kind of fertilizer is used for apples and what fertilizer is used for oak trees?  I am planning on trying this next spring.

STEP UP
OR
STEP ASIDE

fasteddie

Postby fasteddie » Mon May 31, 2010 2:04 pm

For the apple trees , I don't think fertilizing is as important as pruning the apple trees and cutting down any junk trees near them that have been blocking sunlight . We did that with some apple trees on my son's hunting land and the trees bloomed and had some decent apples .
Semper Fi !

Previous

Return to Natural Habitat Enhancements