Fears Authors Book for Management of Native Plants for Deer

Your place to discuss ways the habitats for deer can be improved!
Everyday Hunter

Fears Authors Book for Management of Native Plants for Deer

Postby Everyday Hunter » Wed Apr 07, 2010 8:10 am

Press Release:
[color="#000000"][size="2"]Image
Each year millions of dollars are spent on locating, clearing, plowing, planting and cultivating food plots for white-tailed deer. What many deer managers overlook, are the species of native and introduced species of plants that deer love to eat that are already growing on the property.

Each year millions of dollars are spent on locating, clearing, plowing, planting and cultivating food plots for white-tailed deer. What many deer managers overlook, are the species of native and introduced species of plants that deer love to eat that are already growing on the property.

Author and master outdoorsman, J. Wayne Fears, has written a book that addresses how, with a little encouragement, naturally occurring plants can become as much or more valuable than food plots. This 144-page paperback addresses how deer on a property would do even better nutritionally if both native plants and food plots were present.

How to Manage Native Plants for Deer is a guidebook that addresses importance of identifying all of the plant species that deer use for food or cover found on a property, provides an understanding what deer eat and looks at the most valuable and abundant native plants that habitat managers can improve for deer. Author J. Wayne Fears states, "A property manager's goal is to provide as much quality habitat for deer as possible. This can be achieved improving the growth and seed production of native and naturally occurring plants that will give deer the variety they like and volume they need." How to Manage Native Plants for Deer tells you how.

How Manage Native Plants for Deer is available for $8.95 at www.protoolindustries.net.

J. Wayne Fears has worked with white-tailed deer and deer habitat improvement for four decades. For almost ten years, Wayne was the Forest Recreation Manager for a major paper corporation where he was responsible for managing one-half million acres for deer. He has written a number of books on deer hunting and management including Hunting Whitetails Successfully, which sold over 500,000 copies. How to Manage Native Plants for Deer is the first of a series of guidebooks on deer hunting and management Fears is writing for Pro Tool Industries.[/size][/color]

I thought this was worth noting, in light of the following post by Woods Walker on the QDM forum (Do You Think the QDM Bubble has Burst?): (Note the boldface type, my emphasis.)
ORIGINAL: Woods Walker

This is just my opinion, and I'll be the first to admit that I am by no means an expert on QDM. I'm just basing this on what I've seen deer hunting for 45 years in New Jersey (WAAAY before they let you shoot does), Wyoming, and Illinois, and having studied Range Management and having worded for the old Soil Conservation Service as a Range Conservationist Land Manager.

If you are doing QDM to manage your LAND as the primary goal, with a healthy deer herd (overall deer health/balanced sex ratios) as a BYPRODUCT, then you are on the right track. And by managing your ground, I DON'T mean making it a deer farm, with all kinds of exotic plantings and the like. I'm refering to managing the NATIVE species that you have, with maybe supplemental enhancements of the NATIVE species, so that all the wildlife in the area benefits.

Doing it because you want "YOUR" deer to have a specific numerical antler score is just flat wrong. I mean if that's what you want, then go to a state that permits deer farming, buy some ground, fence it, feed them, and bang away. The you don't have to bad mouth folks who shot one of YOUR deer before YOU deemed it was big enough to be killed, or "HARVESTED", as you will.

Steve
When the Everyday Hunter isn't hunting, he's thinking about hunting, talking about hunting, dreaming about hunting, writing about hunting, or wishing he were hunting.

shaman

RE: Fears Authors Book for Management of Native Plants for Deer

Postby shaman » Mon Apr 12, 2010 4:24 am

I've always like Fears. In fact I wore out his out-of-production turkey hunting tape , and I'm now on my second copy.

Here's one handy hint I want to add. Read this:

http://fw.ky.gov/stripdsk.asp

It's on strip disking.  It's amazing how much benefit you can get from just plowing or disking up a patch of grass.  What it does is break the stranglehold of the fescue or other turf grass and let the natural forbs fill in.  Deer don't eat grass. They eat the weeds coming up between the grass.  Basically you end up with a weed plot of all the natural stuff that had been previously choked out.  Not only does it provide food, but it also quickly gets a bedding area jump started.
Genesis 9:2-4 Ministries of SW Bracken County, KY
Confessions of a Cervid Serial Killer

Return to Natural Habitat Enhancements