What should i do?

Your place to discuss ways the habitats for deer can be improved!
ohiohunter

What should i do?

Postby ohiohunter » Mon May 05, 2008 8:07 am

Im new to the site but have read the mag for several years now.  I am 17 years old and have hunted my grandparent's land for 3 years.  I shot a doe 2 years ago and shot a 150 class buck last year.  There is about 15 acres of woods with a creek running through it and about 10 acres of fields that are currently just tall grass and honeysuckle bushes.  I want to make this place better for deer hunting for this upcoming fall.  Any suggestions??

EatDeer

RE: What should i do?

Postby EatDeer » Tue May 06, 2008 4:03 am

You might need to make a deer sanctuary with such a small parcel. I would plant some 1 acre food plots with in shooting distance of 3-4 deer stands. Maybe plant some pines in small groups of 10 - 15 trees for buck bedding areas. Possiable a larger corn plot is in order for more cover and food. Really it depends on what your land/herd needs,and where you hunt.  
"Let a young buck go, so he can grow."

The Rookie

Postby The Rookie » Tue May 06, 2008 6:55 am

[font=arial]I would plant some trees like... Sawtooth Oak, apple and pear trees. [/font]

ohiohunter

Postby ohiohunter » Tue May 06, 2008 8:14 am

Thanks for the ideas so far.  I would still like some more. But i already have a salt block out and and planning on planting a 1 1/2 acre plot but i dont know of what yet... i have some biologic bags of clover, brassica, and fall mixs....any ideas??  Also i think ill be planting some pines and possiably pear and apple coming soon

hard county

Postby hard county » Tue May 06, 2008 3:37 pm

To hold deer on your property and provide year round quality forage its hard to beat any high protein perrenial, my favourites are any number of white clovers, chicory, and alfalfa. I have also had success with birdsfoot trefoil, and small burnet.
For a fall "shot plot" in my area I have not seen anything to beat oats and austrian winter peas.
For a winter "shot plot", the brassicas you have along with cereal rye (not rye grass) work great. With the two annuals I have just described large acreage is the key.
I would leave around ten yards around the perimeter of the plots in the honeysuckle and native grasses, this will create a sort of a staging area and make the deer more comfortable walking out into your plot.
Dont forget to do a soil test and fertilize and lime appropriately.

ohiohunter

Postby ohiohunter » Wed May 07, 2008 8:05 am

I plan on keeping a buffer zone between the food plot and the woods, but there are no trees near the edge of woods that are large enough to hold a tree stand. So i am planning on using a gound blind..should i try to cut out some trees to hide myself in the wood's edge or should i try to make a natural one in all the honeysuckle bushes in and around the plot??

hard county

Postby hard county » Wed May 07, 2008 1:11 pm

If you have adequate cover that should be fine, I have had great success with ground blinds, and as long as you can hunt the wind, they should be dealy beside or away from the field.

danesdad

Postby danesdad » Thu May 22, 2008 5:37 pm

What type of trees do you have on the wooded part of the land now? 

ohiohunter

Postby ohiohunter » Fri May 23, 2008 7:50 am

Most of the trees are a mix of red oak, white oak, hickory, and maple.  There are a few old wild apple trees here and there.  Also there are alot small honeysuckle bushes throughtout the lot.  I also leave most of the briair patches as buck hide-a-ways.

vambo991

Postby vambo991 » Tue Jun 17, 2008 5:57 pm

alfalfa grows em' big and oats keep em' around later in the season. Also, Eatdeer has got good ideas about a centralized sanctuary and standing corn plots. In Ohio, I'm assuming there's plenty of food already. I hear you guys grow em' BIG. So I'd concentrate more on making your small lot a sanctuary, seriously. If you can make a nice safe haven for does, then you'll have bucks coming around sooner or later. Try to keep a thick bedding sanctuary as close to the middle of your property as possible, so, during the season, you can hunt travel routes all around it without invading any part of it. And your neighbors won't screw it up if the bedding areas aren't that close to their property line. Late in the season, if you haven't filled your tag, then I'd move in when there's fresh snow on the ground. If you do it right, you'll score. But once you move in, you'd better score on your first day, or your season is probably over.

Next

Return to Natural Habitat Enhancements