What should i do?

Your place to discuss ways the habitats for deer can be improved!
msbadger

RE: What should i do?

Postby msbadger » Wed Jun 18, 2008 5:44 am

Because of your age and assuming that the land will remain in the family plant for the future...give them late season sweets that aren't there now ...persimmon trees and late dropping pears ...and find a particulure wth. oak and or apple trees that you can set up with a good wind and fertalize them in early spring/summer...trim arround the oaks to make sure they produce a wide canopy thus more acorn...if your going with food plots and limited on money...test soil and lime lime lime...then go with and inexspensive annual that will block out weeds for the first few plantings ...buckwheat then later in summer early fall over seed with braccs or rye..cut and till in rye before it heads out in spring.....when weeds and nutrients are under control plant a good perennial mix...as mentioned above...long run saves money and later time 

scotman

Postby scotman » Thu Jun 19, 2008 2:44 am

White oak is the most favored food source for deer I would definitely be planting some if plan on hunting their the rest of your life. Trust me from experience under no circumstance don't let anyone get wind of your favorite spot. Especially after shooting a 150 class deer their. When I was young I was proud of the bucks I harvested and thought most other hunters where bagging bucks as well. You might be their friends now but 10 years down the road they might seem more like a stranger. But they will remember exactly where you shot the 150 class deer if you told them the exact spot.
"The deerskin rug on our study floor, the buck's head over the fireplace, what are these after all but the keys which have unlocked enchanted doors, and granted us not only health and vigor, but a fresh and fairer vision of existence" -Paul. Brandreth

EatDeer

Postby EatDeer » Thu Jun 19, 2008 11:42 pm

I would like to add for you not to over hunt the parcel. Wait until the rut hits in your area then get in there and hunt as much as possiable. If your wanting to harvest some doe's before the rut hunt the outside edges near the food plots your planting. You should plant some more apple tree's near the old apple tree's you already have,because I'll bet that could be one of your hot spot's now,and in the future.
"Let a young buck go, so he can grow."

ohiohunter

Postby ohiohunter » Tue Jun 24, 2008 7:09 am

Thanks for all the ideas so far.  I have gotten several good ideas that i plan to put into action.  But with planting all these trees, when would be the best time to plant them?  and with a usual nothwest to west wind around my area, on what side of the field should i plant them. Also what would be a good number of trees to start with? Thanks for all your help so far.

gard73

Postby gard73 » Tue Jul 08, 2008 1:51 pm

I agree with eatdeer. I also  have a small timber dont have the grass field next to it though. I usually hunt on the weekends only then let it sit during the week. I would count on it holding big bucks year round. My timber is not in a secluded area that you may have. I try to keep the does that I  have in there and plant some food that will draw them in after the rut and when all the farmers have there crops out. My advise it to make it as thick and knarly as possible with some traveling paths for you and the deer. The deer are lazy like us if there is a path they'll use it just like you and I. Our timber got logged 2-3 years ago and there are about 75 tree tops in there along with all the new growth from the clearing. I can go in there any time  and find a doe. Due to the location not allot of big bucks call it home all the time. But they come to find a doe. Got a 130" on the wall to prove it. Add allot of cover and several small food plots.

ohiohunter

Postby ohiohunter » Wed Jul 16, 2008 4:50 am

Im getting ready to start on my first food plots next week but i was wondering if i should spray the fields with roundup and till before. and if so how many times for tilling?? also i wanted to know what you think i should plant. their is a corn field right across the road and a bean field farther down that the deer are currently in and i want something that would hold them from october till the end of the season. i know about brassicas clovers wheat and rye but is there any other ideas?? thanks so far!

danesdad

Postby danesdad » Thu Jul 17, 2008 6:54 pm

Keep in mind that if you plant oaks, it's gonna be a while before they produce mast.  White Oak acorns are preferred by deer over others because they contain a lower level of tannic acid and thus are less bitter.  If I were planting oaks, I'd be looking at a variety of species because not every year produces ideal crops and sometimes a certain type of oak will have nuts when the others do not.  I'd be looking at the oaks that are on your ground already and planning hunting strategies based on how much mast is on them.

But you shot the 150" buck, so I should be asking you the questions! [:)]

ohiohunter

Postby ohiohunter » Fri Jul 18, 2008 8:42 am

Thanks for the info..but i have another question.  With growing all the oaks, should i be finding starts around my woods and transfering them to where i want them or trying to find a nursey around where i live and buying some.  But where i live there isnt too many places that sell them and i only have a little money set aside for all my hunting exspenses.

gard73

Postby gard73 » Fri Jul 18, 2008 12:51 pm

I'd transfer seedling if you got them to move. Buying them won't be cheap. Plus little sapling will get nibbled on some won't make it. My brother planted 200 evergreens in his timber 20 years ago not one made it. Definately tranfer them and keep them watered after you do.

passin through

RE: What should I do?

Postby passin through » Sat Aug 02, 2008 5:32 pm

Question do they shoot does?  If not turn up the pressure on the does!  The Brown and down bunch have relatives around here too.....it's taken 15 years to finally get a decent program in place and held to with my bunch.  Your problem is a tough one and I know nil about NY hunting. So my suggestions may be way off base---
What worked for us though has been gradual developing peer pressure to let the little  young bucks go for the most part and to blast does ( by this I mean to stress to the folks that if they are just shooting for meat and what horns there are not anything special to the hunter, why not shoot a doe?  They eat better anyway IMO).  Our situation being what it was this has been successful and we are taking some very good bucks now (for louisiana pine thickets[;)])  They have to believe is the big thing ...once we started showing results here there are lots of converts and even a new zealot or two.  It's been known to go a bit far in fun ----i.e. telling a guy the outside of his deer camp looks like an icicle factory with all the spike and 3 points hanging around probably won't get you invited back over to supper...it didn't me anyway.  But....same guy is not nearly as quick to kill a young buck just to brag on killing a buck.   My suggestion would be maybe form a co-op with other land owners and show these guys that "no - under normal circumstances all these little bucks won't get shot"  - I say normal circumstances because life does tend to happen from time to time...kids first deer ect.  Make your bylaws loose enough to live with and tough enough to have some teeth.  Thats my suggestion...
I wish you well in your endevor!     

PreviousNext

Return to Natural Habitat Enhancements