Hinge Cutting

Your place to discuss ways the habitats for deer can be improved!
ranwin33

Hinge Cutting

Postby ranwin33 » Fri Dec 05, 2008 9:29 am

In a couple of months (or less) I'm going to be getting antsy and needing to do some farm work.  So I've got a question regarding hinge cutting.  If I hinge cut trees in February or March will the following freezes keep these trees from sprouting leaves in the Spring.  In the past I cut some trees in March, they started to sprout leaves by early April, but then a late April freeze killed all the buds and the trees never came back.  Could the same happen if a freeze occurs to the hinge cut trees prior to them budding out?

Thanks.
“There are two spiritual dangers in not owning a farm. One is the danger of supposing that breakfast comes from the grocery, and the other that heat comes from the furnace.”
Aldo Leopold

dmcianfa

RE: Hinge Cutting

Postby dmcianfa » Fri Dec 05, 2008 11:14 am

Simply put, Yes
"I enjoy and become completely immersed in the challenge and the increased opportunity to become for a time a part of nature. Deer hunting is a classical exercise in freedom. It�s a return to fundamentals that I distinctly feel are basic and right"-F.B.

bigbuckhughes

Postby bigbuckhughes » Sun Dec 07, 2008 3:00 am

Great question!  Could we get a little more detail on the answer?  Was planning on doing the same thing, but would like to keep the greenery.  When would be the time to do this type of work?  Spring, summer, any time during the growing season?

dmcianfa

Postby dmcianfa » Sun Dec 07, 2008 3:48 am

In my experience, and I'm not saying mine is the correct way, I've always made some hinge cuts in late April to early May here in Upper Michigan, but it all depends on the region you hunt in I suppose.  Late April gives me a guarantee where I live that foilage and buds will still be present on the cut trees, provided there is sunlight available to them.  That's just me however.
"I enjoy and become completely immersed in the challenge and the increased opportunity to become for a time a part of nature. Deer hunting is a classical exercise in freedom. It�s a return to fundamentals that I distinctly feel are basic and right"-F.B.

ranwin33

Postby ranwin33 » Sun Dec 07, 2008 4:37 am

ORIGINAL: dmcianfa

In my experience, and I'm not saying mine is the correct way, I've always made some hinge cuts in late April to early May here in Upper Michigan, but it all depends on the region you hunt in I suppose.  Late April gives me a guarantee where I live that foilage and buds will still be present on the cut trees, provided there is sunlight available to them.  That's just me however.

Makes perfect sense, and pretty much what I figured.  I was just hoping someone would say they had luck with early hinge cutting.  Guess I'll have to find something else to day February-March.
“There are two spiritual dangers in not owning a farm. One is the danger of supposing that breakfast comes from the grocery, and the other that heat comes from the furnace.”
Aldo Leopold

paulie

Postby paulie » Sun Dec 07, 2008 6:48 am

what exactly do you mean by "hinge cutting"? I'm just curious, I've never heard this term before.

JPH

Postby JPH » Sun Dec 07, 2008 7:13 am

ORIGINAL: ranwin33

ORIGINAL: dmcianfa

Makes perfect sense, and pretty much what I figured.  I was just hoping someone would say they had luck with early hinge cutting.  Guess I'll have to find something else to day February-March.

I have had good success with mid-winter hinge cuts. But I suppose that that was during years when we did not suffer a late freeze.

When I am working in the timber, I will pick a cluster of trees to take down. I'll sometimes hinge cut several of them on top of one another. If they sprout, cool. If not, I still have a brush pile.

ranwin33

Postby ranwin33 » Sun Dec 07, 2008 2:51 pm

ORIGINAL: paulie

what exactly do you mean by "hinge cutting"? I'm just curious, I've never heard this term before.

Hinge cutting is when a tree is cut part way through and layed over onto the ground.  The hope is that it will continue to live and sprout leaves for several more years providing food and cover for deer and other wildlife while it does so. 

I've had good luck with cedars, but not so good luck with hardwoods.  But I'll keep trying, I've got an area just off our New Plot that I plan to hit this year, but I think I'll wait until late April or early May.
Aldo Leopold

paulie

Postby paulie » Sun Dec 07, 2008 3:16 pm

Hey Ranwin, thanks for the info. Thats pretty clever, I dont know that I would have ever thought to do that! Obviously, you want to do this with trees that the deer prefer to eat, I may have to look into that for the property I hunt. Of course, I'll have to talk with the landowner about it first. Thanks again for the info!  Ya know, thats what I love about this site, it is a wealth of information!

hilltop

Postby hilltop » Mon Dec 08, 2008 3:24 am

Hinge cutting will provide good cover for deer,turkey ,and other wildlife. It also enhances growth of various vines, honeysuckle, and other browse.

Next

Return to Natural Habitat Enhancements