What Are Your Food Plot Plans?

Your place to discuss ways the habitats for deer can be improved!
impeach O

RE: What Are Your Food Plot Plans?

Postby impeach O » Thu Mar 25, 2010 4:40 pm

incredible advice you guys are as nuts as I am. one thing I have done is read as much as I can get my hands on and buy my seeds locally if possible. the best book I have read is by Ed Spinazzola deerattraction.com especially for you guys in Michigan!!!!!!!!!
my greatest fear in life is when I die my wife will sell my hunting equipment for what she thinks I spent

jacannon63

Postby jacannon63 » Wed Mar 31, 2010 11:47 am

We have 32 plots that cover about 25 acres. My food plot buget is $3000.00 Last year I planted rye grain and crimson clover. I will plant as much as I can with the money available. Last year I planted 17 plots that covered about 16 acres. The rye grain and clover worked very well and I will use this mix again. My plots are beautiful right now and the deer are on them everyday. My lease is in South Ala. I bottom plowed all my plots, rototilled them and planted them with a drill, and then culltipacked.
Stump sittin since 1981

msbadger

Postby msbadger » Thu Apr 01, 2010 5:49 am

My progress thus far is ...raked the leaves off woodland trail plots and limed...raked the part of turnip plot that got hammered in weeds again..... then today I sprayed down both those and the woodland plots....the 2 new areas the other new turnip plot that got weedy and the area I'm fencing...in for substance and to get out of the sun for a bit...phew...glad Mr. B is cooking my birthday dinner tonight ..I'm tired already![;)]...think he's getting me a york rake for my birthday[:D]

buckhunter21

Postby buckhunter21 » Thu Apr 01, 2010 8:14 am

ORIGINAL: jacannon63

We have 32 plots that cover about 25 acres. My food plot buget is $3000.00 Last year I planted rye grain and crimson clover. I will plant as much as I can with the money available. Last year I planted 17 plots that covered about 16 acres. The rye grain and clover worked very well and I will use this mix again. My plots are beautiful right now and the deer are on them everyday. My lease is in South Ala. I bottom plowed all my plots, rototilled them and planted them with a drill, and then culltipacked.

Sounds like you have some pretty good ideas of what to do, but not everyone has a $3,000 food plot budget every year! :)  I'm jealous.
QDM!

jacannon63

Postby jacannon63 » Thu Apr 01, 2010 11:55 am

Having this many plots is a year round job. As soon as the clover goes to seed in about a month we will bush hog all the plots and then plow it all under . Then it is time to do soil samples , put out the lime , disc it in ,and get them for next fall.
Stump sittin since 1981

Previous

Return to Natural Habitat Enhancements