Plot for sandy loamy soil

Your place to discuss ways the habitats for deer can be improved!
reeper0697

Plot for sandy loamy soil

Postby reeper0697 » Sun Jan 11, 2009 12:07 pm

Hey guys, I been opening an area up for another food plot the past few years and I think this year I am going to plant. Anyone have any recommendations for a food plot in sandy loamy soil? I have heard different answers but was wondering if anyone had any information on a late season plot (that deer will hit when snow is on the ground) that would work well in these conditions. Thanks!!!
Put me on a mountain, way back in the backwoods
Put me on a lake with biggin' on the line
Put me around a campfire cookin' something I just cleaned

Goose

RE: Plot for sandy loamy soil

Postby Goose » Sun Jan 11, 2009 1:46 pm

Turnips if your looking strictly for a cool season plot. Corn and soybeans will also draw them in late.
I guess it depends on what you want. There are many options.
Is the soil gonna be prepped properly with fert and lime?
Money matter? Corn can be good but expensive.
Jake

Genesis 27:3 Take your bow and quiver full of arrows out into the open country, and hunt some wild game.....

reeper0697

Postby reeper0697 » Sun Jan 11, 2009 2:11 pm

Goose,

I usually do the ph test, lime, fertilizer, the whole thing when I do plots. Where I have been clearing though I also put 8 semi dwarf apple trees in. I have heard both that apple trees like lime and dont like lime. This paticular plot will not be all the big in size. I have been reading alot on corn and soybeans and am thinking about putting some in another location I am allowed to hunt since the majority of it is fields. any recommendation on turnips? Thanks alot

Goose

Postby Goose » Sun Jan 11, 2009 5:01 pm

They are a cool season plot and other brassica's that are often planted with them are canola,kale, and rape.
Deer will eat both the top and bottom.
Reach peak production in 90-110 days.
Leaves are high in protein 16-24% and roots are 12-15%, comparable to alfalfa
I've read that turnips will give you the same energy value as corn but for less cost.
There are hundreds of varieties but the most popular for deer are Green Globe, Purple Top, Purple top /White Globe,Samson,Sirius, and White Egg.
The biggest differences are the proportion of bulb to leaf. You can get a lot of leaves and little bulb, little leaves and big bulb or in between.
If late nutrition is not desired you can get a no bulb seed like All Top and Seven Top.
Deer will often leave the field untouched until the first frost then hammer it.
Ive hunted over turnips and saw deer out there from opening day to the last.
a Ph of 6.0-6.5 is best
Loose well aerated soil is best
Sirius,Green Globe, and York Globe grow best in the Midwest according to a University of WI study
Grow best in temps between 40 and 60 degrees
Need 90 to 110 days to grow before frost to reach their potential
Most in the north plant during first part of August
They need 6 hours of sunlight
Seeds should be planted 1/4 to 1/2" deep
Best using either a no-till drill or broadcasting and culti packing after.

Im looking at planting some this  year as well so I've been doing alot of research on them.
Hope this helps.

Jake

Genesis 27:3 Take your bow and quiver full of arrows out into the open country, and hunt some wild game.....

reeper0697

Postby reeper0697 » Sun Jan 11, 2009 5:20 pm

Thanks alot Goose I really appreciate it

I was really excited to plant brassicas last spring since when frost comes it turns them sweet and I heard the deer will nail them. They were coming in great and then insects destroyed them[:@]

I will look into turnips like you recommend. Are you going for a no bulb or what kind are you looking at? I am mainly going for a late season attractant.

Thanks again.

Goose

Postby Goose » Sun Jan 11, 2009 5:31 pm

Ill probably go with something like 70%top 30% bottom or whatever is close to that. I would like some bulb for winter carry over.
Jake

impeach O

Postby impeach O » Mon Mar 29, 2010 2:21 pm

you really should buy the book ultimate deer food plots by Ed Spinazzola from QDMA or deerattraction.com he lives in my home state of michigan where the majority of soil is sandy loam or sand. he goes into detail about the process of building up the soil testing liming fertilizing and planting. I have a copy and am reading it for the 6th time.
my greatest fear in life is when I die my wife will sell my hunting equipment for what she thinks I spent

Blazed

Postby Blazed » Mon Mar 29, 2010 4:55 pm

Ihave 2 food plots 20 miles apart on the two spots I hunt. One is all sand, Although I am ammending it. I planted turnips in there (1/2 acre) for two years now. The deer have hit them from opening day to wiping them out shortly after frost. My other spot was planted for the first time this year, 2 acres turnips. The deer here never hit them. I watched them walk right through them and nibble only on the weeds that grew in. I did have 10 lbs of peas in the 2 acre plot and the deer hit them. Never cleaned them out like I expected though.

This year I'm thinking clover and peas to rotate out turnips for a year vin plot 1 , and to try to find out what they want in plot 2. I'm open to suggestions though.

Return to Natural Habitat Enhancements