TSI

Your place to discuss ways the habitats for deer can be improved!
EatDeer

TSI

Postby EatDeer » Wed Aug 06, 2008 6:13 am

I checked on some timber stand improvements I made in the late winter here. Everything I stump cut is greening sprouts up nicely.        TSI really can turn a thin section of timber into some nice thick habitat, with ample deer browse. I like stump cutting about three feet off the ground level, because tree's don't die off as readily. I made some hinge cuts , but personaly I don't like the appearance that method produces.  I'm wondering if anyone else on the forums is practicing TSI for deer?   
"Let a young buck go, so he can grow."

msbadger

RE: TSI

Postby msbadger » Wed Aug 06, 2008 6:34 am

Hey eatdeer..I've been doing that for years...especially around tree stand locations ....deer have face high fresh browes and no need to look up.....also cut some a tad higher ...string wire and plant grapes that I root from cuttings....they love their fat concords...best trees for me are the hard maple and ash...but the red oaks do well also

JPH

Postby JPH » Wed Aug 06, 2008 6:40 am

I have used high stump cuts and hinge cuts for several years now and love the results.

ranwin33

Postby ranwin33 » Thu Aug 07, 2008 8:12 am

We cut about an acre area two years ago.  Unfortunately a late spring freeze killed everything we hinge cut so had no green up from those trees at all.  I went back through this early spring and cut the hinge cut trees through so they'd lay on the ground.  Haven't been back to look at the area since then as it tends to be a destination area for our deer. 

In another area we went through about an acre and took down everything that wasn't an oak - our timber is mostly hickory.  That's really helped with giving the oaks a growth spurt, especially with the rains we've had this year.

I don't know if it's doing any good, but it's fun to do and I figure it can't hurt.

impeach O

Postby impeach O » Mon Mar 29, 2010 2:34 pm

I cut aspen every winter to use as firewood in the fireplace, the result is incredible shoots in the spring then about 5 years later when the shoot trees are too high for browse I level them with my tractor back blade  or dozer and they regenerate or burn them either way they will regenerate and start the process over
my greatest fear in life is when I die my wife will sell my hunting equipment for what she thinks I spent

Return to Natural Habitat Enhancements