apple trees

Your place to discuss ways the habitats for deer can be improved!
DoeEyed

apple trees

Postby DoeEyed » Thu Feb 19, 2009 7:21 am

When is the best time to prune apple trees. could it be done now?
All I have seen teaches me to trust the Creator for all I have not seen ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson

msbadger

RE: apple trees

Postby msbadger » Thu Feb 19, 2009 7:45 am

now if weather isn't too severe....before the sap runs

DoeEyed

Postby DoeEyed » Thu Feb 19, 2009 8:17 pm

Thanks msbadger. i'll get to it when the weather warms a bit. I think we're gonna get another cold snap(?)
All I have seen teaches me to trust the Creator for all I have not seen ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson

northernVT

Postby northernVT » Sun Feb 22, 2009 5:48 am

Hey DoeEyed.

Check out this website. They wrote to bible on apple tree pruning.

http://www.umext.maine.edu/onlinepubs/htmpubs/7126.htm

Good luck!

deerdown

Postby deerdown » Sun Mar 08, 2009 4:31 am

I prune my trees when they are dormant, anytime in the winter .. which is quite a length season where I am! 

buckhunter21

Postby buckhunter21 » Mon Mar 09, 2009 11:49 am

Couple questions....Where does everyone here get their apple trees at and what kind do you get for planting in the woods for deer?  Also, what kind of precautions do you take so the tree has the freedom to grow so the deer don't kill it before it has a chance? 

The reason I ask is because I plan on putting some on two of our properties this spring and then also planting some in our yard here at home.  So, I wasn't sure if there was a certain kind you should plant for the deer or not, and I wasn't sure where the best place would be to buy them and how to take care of them. 

Thanks! :D
QDM!

deerdown

Postby deerdown » Mon Mar 09, 2009 4:44 pm

I only have 2 trees at the moment and I just bought mine at a nursery.  I think it's tough to keep deer away from them.  Mine are fairly close to home which probably helps but after planting they did come and take some nibbles early in the season.  I hung some fragrant bars of soap from the tree branches and this seemed to help (I read about that trick somewhere).

As for varities I don't think they are too picky.  Something suited for your hardiness zone and produces well and your good to go.  You will need a cross-polinator to get apples as you probably know so 2 different kinds is a good plan.  Perhaps an early and late ripening variety so you've got apples available over a longer period.  A buddy of mine has a fruit stand and picks up apples directly from the orchards ... he's going to start selling trees this year and is picking up some saplings from the growers, not a bad plan if they're nearby.  I'm hoping to get a honeycrisp and empire from him this spring mainly cause I like eating them.

I read an article in a QDMA magazine that went to the length of creating an enclosed fence area for the trees (about 10 I think is what they planted) with a gate.  Once the apples started to drop and trees were mature enough just open the gate and have them wait in line ...  that would be the ultimate I think if money was no object!

DoeEyed

Postby DoeEyed » Mon Mar 09, 2009 6:05 pm

Thanks northern vt for the link.

buckhunter- I would think u could get them at any nursery. All mine were on the property when we bought it and are mature so I really don't know what you could do to protect seedlings. I would do what deerdown said and buy different varieties so they drop at different times.

reeper0697

Postby reeper0697 » Mon Mar 09, 2009 6:49 pm

buckhunter,

I would go with what has been said above.
Another thing I would recommend is to buy a tree as big as you can instead of buying them like a foot tall. I bought some from a nursery, some from big lots, and 2 from home depot (both died, wont buy from there again). The tree prices for me ranged from $15-$40.

I have a variety but I went with 3 cortland apple trees because they are well suited for the hardiness of my area and they are a great pollinater. They also produce alot of apples per tree. When you get looking into this you will find out that there are more apple trees than you could have imagined.

Like deerdown mentioned honeycrisp are delicous to eat, are hardy, good pollinater, but dont produce alot of apples per tree. An excellent eating apple but it is nothing I would get for deer. I have 2 in my little orchard as well. At first I just wanted trees that would produce many apples to get them into the area, then I added others that I plan to eat.

A guy who runs an orchard here always jokes about when people buy apple trees they want pies growing off it!

You can also look on the internet to find out about cross pollinaters and info on which trees do best in your area. Talking to someone who runs an orchard would be the best bet, I learned the most from him.

let us know what you go with!!
Put me on a mountain, way back in the backwoods
Put me on a lake with biggin' on the line
Put me around a campfire cookin' something I just cleaned

bucktale

Postby bucktale » Tue Mar 10, 2009 2:40 am

I always put a fence around each tree, put two steel posts 3 feet on either side then I take welded wire mesh about 6 feet high and cut to 12 feet in length and wire it to the steel posts. Keeps out the deer real good and you can remove it after you think the tree is big enough to survive on it's own. The only problem I have is that when bear are around it doesn't stop them. Takes about 10 years to get a nice apple tree growing and about 10 minutes for a bear to kill it. Good luck!!!!

Next

Return to Natural Habitat Enhancements