apple trees

Your place to discuss ways the habitats for deer can be improved!
vt_archer

RE: Apple Trees

Postby vt_archer » Mon Sep 21, 2009 1:09 pm

Yeah, I was kind of wondering that myself.. the previous owners were a couple of very nice hippie folk, but their land hasn't been hunted in 20+ years, or at least not to their knowledge... and yep, would seem like the apples would be an excellent fall back food.  Thanks for the well wishes, MI, we will definitely find out.

Anywho, at least they seem to be traveling that area, which is a very good start.

Thanks for the reply guys

DeanoZ

Postby DeanoZ » Tue Sep 22, 2009 3:17 am

I have property in the NEK, no apple trees but plan on putting some in at some point.  I would hang a cam to see what they are doing, but I'm betting they are hitting them, perhaps even plucking them off the tree,  There is a reason they are swinging by there so I'm betting its just a small matter of time before they hit them hard.

buckhunter21

Postby buckhunter21 » Tue Sep 22, 2009 8:07 am

My guess is that there are some oak ridges nearby they are hitting, since that is the preferred food choice right now.  But, apples aren't far behind.  If the trees have apples on them, and they are dropping, it's a great place for those deer to be...A great stand site would be to ambush them before they get to the orchard, since once they get there there really isn't any way to know which way they'll go.  They should have one or two main trails right to that orchard!  Best of luck, and let us know how it goes!
QDM!

Ohio farms

Postby Ohio farms » Tue Sep 22, 2009 11:23 am

I have 5 apple trees in the back yard of my farm and 100 acres of corn/soybeans.  I don't bother spraying the apples so they are not very good to eat so I pile them at the edge of my woods.  They will eat 100 lbs in a few days. They eat the tops of the beans and some standing corn, but won't pass up those apples

vt_archer

Postby vt_archer » Tue Sep 22, 2009 1:33 pm

Thanks folks, I will definitely let ya know how it goes... had a trio of bears up in the orchard just a few minutes ago, two treed cubs (which are still there, waiting to hear mama bark themback down tonight) and I'm sure mama was around nearby.. has been a real interesting week so far..

Great site, have been singing it's praises to any hunters that I know.

impeach O

RE: apple trees

Postby impeach O » Thu Mar 25, 2010 4:34 pm

I dig a $30 hole for a $10 tree meaning I make it wider and deeper then needed, mix in compost, fertilizer tablets and the magic ingredient terra-sorb from gardeners supply. water as often as possible. I bought a plastic 55 gallon barrel drilled a hole in bottom and used epoxy to cement in a hose fitting put it in the back of my truck or prowler and hook a garden hose to it and water. never lost a tree yet
my greatest fear in life is when I die my wife will sell my hunting equipment for what she thinks I spent

bmstaaf

Postby bmstaaf » Fri Mar 26, 2010 7:36 am

I hunt a wild apple orchard prob twenty trees on 50 acres it holds about a dozen deer at any time. I live in north west pa cold springs kill the season so don't rely unless your in warner clikates frost kills!

msbadger

Postby msbadger » Sat Mar 27, 2010 1:37 am

I remember seeing ...I think on D&DH that they put out red apples and green apples ..on a ground site....the deer went right to the green...or light colored apples every time.....I will be planting a late maturing golden delicious...and some other light colored late maturing apples near favorite hunting sites....I already have a good couple of wild apple trees that are yellows...but they drop too early

Bob Olsen

RE: Apple trees

Postby Bob Olsen » Tue Mar 22, 2011 7:31 pm

My very best advice is to read my Thread "Believe This". It's about Don Higgins and the work he has done on my farm. I guess he will suggest planting Persimmon trees. I think apples fall a little too early and Don will also suggest where to plant them in relationship to your treestands. I also know a guy in Pike County who is a farmer and also an exceptionally good hunter who said that Don is very good at what he does. Contact Don at, don@higginsoutdoors.com you will not be sorry. If I want to know about martial arts I ask Bruce Lee, if I want to know about trees and setting up my farm, I ask Don. I've read his book twice and learned more about hunting than any five other books I've read. When I can figure out how to upload a map that I've painted I will post it. I can't wait for my persimmons to drop. But, in the meantime the Native Grasses will do just fine, creating a "Sanctuary" and growing some monsters. Let me know what you do. And, Oh yeah welcome to the forum.

msbadger

RE: Apple trees

Postby msbadger » Wed Mar 23, 2011 5:36 am

I believe it was in Deer and Deer hunting that they did a test and found  that deer gravitated toward the yellow apple varieties more that the reds...though obviously they enjoy both....Having apples that mature at different times....will keep the deer coming in right through to winter....I have only planted a few and always semi dwarf...they produce apples in fewer years compared to standards and take less space....We are blessed with wild apple trees that I trim and fertilize all over  both our places...don't know what they are but many different. Reds and yellows..... sweet and dry/tart and some hold there apples till snow others drop by late Aug...Deer actually seem to like the dry/tart ones better...go figure  

PreviousNext

Return to Natural Habitat Enhancements