Winter trimming

Your place to discuss ways the habitats for deer can be improved!
msbadger

RE: Winter trimming

Postby msbadger » Sat Feb 06, 2010 7:40 am

You'd be afraid of the 200 pound buck I have...I'm not a small woman and he picked me up and thru me across the paddock [>:]....that goat hates me[&o]

Well another fine morning of cutting and hauling fire wood...I am impressed at how long a dead ash tree remains solid and non punky...we've been cutting up trees that have been dead 6-8 years and still as solid as ever...The guy just looked at me and said...there's a lot of wood in here...yeppers and wood I really would have wrote off as no good until he cut it..nice surprise...we found 2 fresh buck beds...urine in them and then more urine in the tracks leading from the beds with a forward spray...good sized prints as well...I'm really getting stoked for next season...even if I weren't to get a buck on the ground ...I'm sure I'll get more great pics like last year....

msbadger

Postby msbadger » Sat Feb 13, 2010 9:43 am

Today was a bit brisk but we downed a bunch of maples....Trees that were struck by lightening....wind damaged or just plain crooked as a politician [;)]

These we dropped and will leave for later ..get them down before the sap flows....lots of browse and I opened up the canopy for a new plot and an older plot....some of the bigger ones I'll limb out and cut up the smaller stuff for fire wood...I will have a lot of good tops to add to my brush fences

msbadger

Postby msbadger » Tue Mar 23, 2010 6:05 am

Went out and took some pics on this rainy morning...Here is what I've been doing with all the winter trimmings...My fence really got flattened in that last heavy snow...but I have plenty of brush to build her back up to 5ft high and still add more length....

Previous

Return to Natural Habitat Enhancements