need some plowing ideas {hillbilly style}

Your place to discuss ways the habitats for deer can be improved!
jamie9mm

need some plowing ideas {hillbilly style}

Postby jamie9mm » Tue Apr 14, 2009 4:40 am

I have a 1/2ac. field i want to plant Imperial no plow in. I have lime to to cover it in before the seeding. I know it says no plow but I would like to break up the dirt just a little and the field is covered in about anywhere from 2-9 inches of thin grass. Last weekend we tried to use a 6hp 17in. tiller  but the grass was getting up in the tiller cloging it and there is alot of rocks under the soil. We have a 4wd quad but no plow or disc for it.  I have a 4wd Durango  that i could hook somthing to it and drag to tear up the ground but i dont know what that would be. We use a wood pallet for baseball  but thats on soft dirt with no grass in it. So if any of you have a idea i would love to hear it!

Demoderby4

RE: need some plowing ideas {hillbilly style}

Postby Demoderby4 » Tue Apr 14, 2009 5:44 am

Maybe just try to rent a disc plow to use with the quad for the weekend?- If no one you know has one. Might not be the cheapest idea, but if you cant buy one, and no one you know has anything like that, renting one would be my next step, I'm new at this kind of stuff though, these other guys should be able to help more!
Matt Cain
SE MI

Them Darned ol' deer.

kribbz

Postby kribbz » Tue Apr 14, 2009 6:49 am

I would first get a mower out there and mow the grass down as close to the ground as you can.  From there you could take a pallet or build some sort of frame and put a bunch of nails through it.  place a couple of cinder blocks on top and drag.  This should ruff up the soil enough to through down some now plow.  I think Imperial says no deeper than 1/4" on that stuff anyway so you should be "All Good!"

MHHC S. IL

Postby MHHC S. IL » Tue Apr 14, 2009 7:24 am

That's a great idea kribbz!  The only thing you might want to consider is using screws instead, wouldn't want a nail to pop out in the rocky soil and end up in the 4wheeler tire.
LIVE AT FULL DRAW

buckhunter21

Postby buckhunter21 » Tue Apr 14, 2009 7:54 am

Like these guys said, I'd highly recommend renting a plow for a few hours to do this, or a disc.  You'll be glad you did when you're done.  If it already has some grass on it you want to plow or disc that under....Also, I'd probably throw some round-up on there and wait a week then disc. 
QDM!

Goose

Postby Goose » Tue Apr 14, 2009 10:31 am

Definitely want to mow it first as stated, then I don't know.....any local farmers or friends who would do it for ya or borrow you the equipment?
Jake

Genesis 27:3 Take your bow and quiver full of arrows out into the open country, and hunt some wild game.....

shaman

Postby shaman » Tue Apr 14, 2009 10:43 am

The farmer that does my hay has something called a rotovator.  It doesn't care what you have in the way of grass, etc .  It just leaves you with dirt. It works off the PTO of his tractor. 

If it hasn't been plowed recently, I'd plow it and lime it.  Then I'd get it levelled out with a disc and plant the thing in something like ladino clover with a cover crop like wheat. 
Genesis 9:2-4 Ministries of SW Bracken County, KY
Confessions of a Cervid Serial Killer

passin through

Postby passin through » Tue Apr 14, 2009 12:30 pm

I've used the no plow before....Definitely pre-apply the lime at least a couple weeks out and try to work it in----- also mowing and or round up'ing the area is best but you need to get the grass off the ground however---- a controled burn maybe the ticket for you --- reguardless the Now plow must make contact with the soil---I'd try renting a disc or something to develop my seed bed.

This is what I do on a field about the same size-----

I cut the grass, 3-5 days later I round up the new growth.  A week or so later  I either burn it off or disc the old grass in.  Then if I burned it, I cut the ground with either a harrow or a disc (tractor or quad pulled), I level up the seedbed with a tire-pallet drag pulled behind my 4 wheeler, I broadcast the seed and re-drag.  Every couple of years I do a soil sample on that field and treat with lime as reccommended.  For best results I apply my fertilizer to the patch before leveling out my seed bed...this prevents burning out seedilngs if the mix is a little strong and it puts the fertilizer at a level where it can be best utilized in the first growth stage.
It matters not the weapon nor its caliber, rather the caliber of the one who wields it.

DeanoZ

Postby DeanoZ » Wed Apr 15, 2009 5:11 am

Great advice passing through and all...thanks for sharing!

jamie9mm

Postby jamie9mm » Wed Apr 15, 2009 5:26 pm

Thanks for the idea's guys! I have decided to buy round up and kill the grass with that. then i will try to till and lime. I justed wanted to try to stay as cheap as possible for my first plot.

Next

Return to Natural Habitat Enhancements