ORDERED SEED

Your place to discuss ways the habitats for deer can be improved!
hookset6969

ORDERED SEED

Postby hookset6969 » Sat Feb 06, 2010 11:46 am

I just got done ordering my seed for the year and it looks like this, 2# purple top turnip, 2# rutabagas, 2# puna chickory, 5# ladino clover, 50# oats/peas, 150# of deer pellet feed, 2# sweet beets, [:)] For a grand total of 115.00 dollars and most of the money was on the deer pellets. Thanks to all that encouraged me to look into the local co-op's it saved me a ton of money [:)] I will have a little more lime to get and some fertilizer but for the most part I'm done. I planted some turnips in a pot here at home and couldn't believe it but those suckers came up in 2 days, I atleast now I know what to look for when they start to sprout. I'm glad to see them come up so fast seeings how I spent 17.00 bucks for 1 pound of them before I got all of your guy's info. All's that left now is to see what happen's in the spring [:)]

SHKYBoonie

RE: ORDERED SEED

Postby SHKYBoonie » Sat Feb 06, 2010 6:08 pm

There ya go hookset. It's always best to do it that way if you are planting fairly good size plots. Those "buck-in-a-bag" seeds can get down right expensive if you have to by for several plots. The only way I could even see it being cost efficient to anyone is if you only had one food plot that was small. Other wise you saved yourself a good bit of $$$, got what you wanted and it is probably fresher seed, which means better germination. Good example of what I preach to anyone who ask me what I think! I'll be going to put my order in very soon. I got my soil samples out of the fields about two weeks ago. It's been so wet I wanted to get them early enough to give them time to dry out. I missed getting soil test last year because of a wet Spring. It will not happen again.
Hunt as though your life depended on it, because one day it just might!

hookset6969

Postby hookset6969 » Sat Feb 06, 2010 6:21 pm

I can't wait to see some picture's of everyone's plot's this year [:D] I'm sure I will learn alot as this will be my first year doing this. I do alway's plant a huge garden so this isn't completely foreign to me, thank god [:D]

GTOHunter

Postby GTOHunter » Wed Feb 10, 2010 3:05 pm

Looks like You got a lot of seed for your money,I'm glad to hear You found a better place to get all your seed supplies...I can't wait to see how good your Food Plot will look!!!!

I like to plant the turnips,brassicas,beets and rape seed in late Fall for Bow Hunting and the November Rifle Deer Season.

What type of a plant are Rutabagas...????? I've heard of them but never ate them or saw them before?

hookset6969

Postby hookset6969 » Wed Feb 10, 2010 3:17 pm

I'm headed out in the morning to go pick everything up and put out a couple of feeder's for the bird's and deer [:D], I'm taking the little guy with me so I hope in our couple day stay that he will see some deer or turkey.

msbadger

Postby msbadger » Thu Feb 11, 2010 2:48 am

[size="5"]RUTABAGAS--AN UNCOMMON TREAT[/size]

Includes Recipe Below
Rutabagas are often thought of as yellow turnips but actually bear the botanical name Brassica napus and belong to the highly prized family of cruciferous vegetables. The rutabaga, a relatively newcomer in the world of vegetables, is thought to have evolved from a cross between a wild cabbage and a turnip. The earliest records of rutabaga's existence are from the seventeenth century in Southern Europe where they were first eaten as well as used for animal fodder. It's curious that throughout history animals were often fed the healthiest foods, foods thought to be inappropriate for human consumption. Because rutabagas thrive best in colder climates, they became popular in Scandinavia, but especially in Sweden, the country that earned them the name "swedes." In Europe, rutabagas are still called swedes. In America, rutabagas were first cultivated in the northern parts of the country in the early 1800s. Canada and the northern states are today's greatest producers of the rutabaga.
The rutabaga is a root vegetable that looks very much like a turnip with yellow-orange flesh and ridges at its neck. ImageAlthough this beta carotene-rich vegetable has been grown and marketed in our country for nearly 200 years, it remains an uncommon food in American dining. It's actually a great tasting vegetable with a delicate sweetness and flavor that hints of the light freshness of cabbage and turnip. With its easy preparation and versatility, great nutrition, and excellent flavor, the rutabaga can easily become an endearing family favorite.
Because rutabagas store so well, up to one month in the refrigerator and up to four months in commercial storage at 32 degrees, they are available year round. Planted in May and June, they're harvested in late summer and early fall when their flavor is at its peak. Ideally, it's best to shop for fresh rutabagas at farmer's markets in early autumn.
Rutabaga Nutrition
100 grams or 3 1/2 ounces
Nutrient Cooked Raw Calories 39 36 Protein 1.3 g 1.2 g Total Fat .6 g .6 g % Calories from fat 5.1% 5.0% Carbohydrates 8.7 g 8.1 g Fiber 1.8 g 2.5 g Calcium 48.0 mg 47.0 mg Copper .04 mg .04 mg Iron 53 mg .52 mg Magnesium 23.0 mg 23.0 mg Manganese .17 mg .17 mg Phosphorous .57 mg .58 mg Potassium 326.0 mg 337.0 mg Selenium .7 mg .7 mg Sodium 20.0 mg 20.0 mg Zinc .350 mg .340 mg Vitamin A 561.0 IU 580.0 IU Vitamin B1 ­ Thiamine .082 mg .090 mg Vitamin B2 ­ Riboflavin .041 mg .040 mg Vitamin B3 ­ Niacin .72 mg .7 mg Vitamin B6 ­ Pyridoxine .102 mg .100 mg Vitamin C 18.8 mg 25.0 mg Vitamin E .15 mg .30 mg Folate (folic acid) .15 mcg .21 mcg Pantothenic Acid .155 mg .160 mg Saturated Fat .03 g .03 g Monounsaturated Fat .07 g .07 g Polyunsaturated Fat .04 g .04 g
Preparing Rutabagas
There are at least 100 ways to enjoy rutabagas. Here are a just few suggestions to introduce this wonderful vegetable:
RAW: First, peel them with a vegetable peeler. Slice and enjoy as a snack. Chop, dice, or grate them and add to salads. Create a unique salad with diced rutabagas and other vegetables of your choice. Grate them and add to cole slaw. Grate and combine with carrot salad.
COOKED: Ru

ranwin33

Postby ranwin33 » Thu Feb 11, 2010 3:20 am

Congrats on the seed purchase.  How big of area are you planting.

Also, what brand of deer pellets did you get.  I've been thinking about trying some Purina deer pellets, just to do some experimenting, but they're running something like $18 for a 50# bag.
“There are two spiritual dangers in not owning a farm. One is the danger of supposing that breakfast comes from the grocery, and the other that heat comes from the furnace.”
Aldo Leopold

dkdesign

Postby dkdesign » Mon Feb 15, 2010 5:14 am

Kinda cold to plant now but I guess the earthquake last week loosened up the ground for you.  Way to be prepared for spring though.  glad to hear you're including the little ones in your time spent out.  i know my little guy sure loves spending time planting too.  It won't be long for you to have Hailee wanting to come with you too.  You're going to need a atv with 2 kid seats!!  (hows mom and baby doing??)

hookset6969

Postby hookset6969 » Mon Feb 15, 2010 9:39 am

RANWIN I bought ANTLER KING, It was like 14.00 a 50# bag, I mixed it in with some corn [:)], DKDESIGN mom and baby are doing great thank's for asking. The little dude got to see plenty of turkey, deer and one bobcat this weekend so it was a good trip. The areas I'm planting are not going to be real big maybe 60'x60' or so. I plan on doing several though and trying things a little different in each to better prepare myself for the future.

msbadger

Postby msbadger » Mon Feb 15, 2010 2:47 pm

Times a ticking and I'm looking hard at a bunch of different things...one poster here got me thinking about Eagle brand RR soybeans and I found this company...he "E'd" me pics of some of plots from Tacoma and such...http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=3&id=100000510780058&l=dd7539c9dc

Next

Return to Natural Habitat Enhancements