ORDERED SEED

Your place to discuss ways the habitats for deer can be improved!
SHKYBoonie

RE: ORDERED SEED

Postby SHKYBoonie » Wed Feb 17, 2010 6:05 pm

ORIGINAL: msbadger

Times a ticking and I'm looking hard at a bunch of different things...one poster here got me thinking about Eagle brand RR soybeans and I found this company...he "E'd" me pics of some of plots from Tacoma and such...http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=3&id=100000510780058&l=dd7539c9dc

msbadger, let me know where you find the Eagle brand soybeans. I was thinking of trying these this year myself. I haven't been to the Co-Op yet to see if they can get them and at what cost. I have heard great things about them. They did a special on them on the "Management Advantage" show the other day. They are climbers so they just keep putting on leaf after being browsed and they say that they grow and additional month longer than your normal RR soybeans. Seems like a no brainer to me.
Hunt as though your life depended on it, because one day it just might!

msbadger

Postby msbadger » Thu Feb 18, 2010 12:58 am

SB.... hit that link and the guys company name is on it...type it into search and it has a listing of seed he sells...tell him Chris says hi...I've looked all over NY and can't find a dealer...geez...shipping costs!...our nearest I think was Maine ..Eagles site also has a list of dealers...I think!...I've been researching so many options ..I've had a head ache for a week....now looking into Succra seed...Coopper seed has a sale on a 15# bag for 40.00 which for my shipping brings it back to 7.00 off their reg price...thinking of the lower light trail plots in the woods....Good luck

pickleguy

Postby pickleguy » Thu Feb 18, 2010 5:51 am

What do you guys use to till & plant. I was thinking of investing in some equipment for my 4 wheeler this year but I have been procrastinating. Since we have such a wide audience I thouht you all could give me your opinions on past experience.
I do have a sprayer for my 4 wheeler so I plan on killing weeds & grass in the spring.

Have any of you ever grown any plots in peat dirt & what did you plant. I will have the soil tested & fertilize & lime accordingly I just need some idea on what grows good in marsh dirt.
�If you declare with your mouth, “Jesus is Lord,” and believe in your heart that God raised him from the dead, you will be saved.It is with your heart that you believe and are justified, and it is with your mouth that you profess your faith and are saved

hookset6969

Postby hookset6969 » Thu Feb 18, 2010 10:59 am

I'm in about the same boat as far as equipment goes however the guy that rents the tillable land from my dad is going to take care of the ground over there but I still don't know what I'm going to do at my place as far as breaking ground. Peat remind's me of potting soil and right now I have some purple top turnip's growing in that to see what they will look like when they come up this year because I have never planted them [:)]. Peat is some nasty stuff though, I've been stuck in it several times it remind's me of quick sand too. I run heavy equipment and that stuff is the last thing you want to see on a dirt job [:'(]

SHKYBoonie

Postby SHKYBoonie » Thu Feb 18, 2010 6:03 pm

ORIGINAL: pickleguy

What do you guys use to till & plant. I was thinking of investing in some equipment for my 4 wheeler this year but I have been procrastinating. Since we have such a wide audience I thouht you all could give me your opinions on past experience.
I do have a sprayer for my 4 wheeler so I plan on killing weeds & grass in the spring.

I have put in many a food plot with an ATV and even a few with my Jeep CJ. I bought a small disk several years back at a farm auction. It worked great and didn't cost much at all. Parts where usually easy to find. You might want to check on doing this before spending $500 or more on a new one that isn't as well made.

All you really need are 4 things. A sprayer (which you already have), a disk, a spreader (you can buy a nice pull behind speader from Tractor Supply for around $180) and a harrow/drag. You can make a good drag with a section of chain link fence, a log, a section of chain and a couple of concrete blocks.

I have a tractor now with many attachments, but it came with the land I bought a few years ago. Before then, I used a 400 cc four-wheeler to do all of my plots. I must say, I had some pretty impressive plots doing it that way.
Hunt as though your life depended on it, because one day it just might!

msbadger

Postby msbadger » Fri Feb 19, 2010 12:57 am

tyrone is another good soybean but I'm having a hard time finding it ...sold out every where I look[>:]....looks like I'll keep building the PH and just go with my usual stuff and succra seed. this year...hhhmmm another lesson learned as with the purple top last year...ORDER VERY EARLY!

GTOHunter

Postby GTOHunter » Wed Mar 03, 2010 2:35 pm

MSBadger...thanks for the cool Info on what Rutabagas are! [;)]

For planting Equipment we have used a large John Deere Tractor to break up the ground with the plow and then using a large Disc the break it up finer for planting and finally dragging a section of chain link fence after planting the seed and fertilizer to cover the seed lightly.The last few years we've had smaller area's to get in to so we went to the local MFA Feed Company and rented a small ATV disc that had the larger inflated tires for hauling to the area were going to plant then it is cranked down to disc up the land and you could also rent a Cultipacker to pull behind the disc also.I believe Hunters View makes this type of gray colored Disc and it does a very good job on breaking up the ground behind the 4-Wheelers.The disc can be lowered all the way down or raised part way so it doesn't dig in as deep and we even put some weight (blocks of cut wood) onto the top of the disc frame to dig down a little deeper in rougher soil and the 2-rows of 4 disc can be tilted at different angles.We pulled this Disc up and down some really large hills and deep hollers to get to small area's of food plots and logging roads where we planted and it worked great.You can see the type/brand disc on the Cabela's and BassPro Shops web sites.

Stickman

Postby Stickman » Fri Mar 05, 2010 3:21 pm

If you want a super top of the line forage soybean for your deer, go to Eagleseed.com you want regret it.
If you can find it you can kill it.

Previous

Return to Natural Habitat Enhancements