getting ready to make fence posts

Your place to discuss ways the habitats for deer can be improved!
msbadger

getting ready to make fence posts

Postby msbadger » Wed Feb 24, 2010 7:25 am

So went out for my hike and wondered into the small area of Blk locus we have next to the open field...I've been wait for them to get enough diameter and height to cut for fence post....Now's the time....Mr .B will have to help with this one...they aren't small enough for my stihl  pruner...not that I wouldn't concider trying it[8D]......I'll select cut ...cut to length and stack them on top of some yellow poplar logs I'm cutting out...then give them one year to dri and debark and in stall....hopefully the maples I've let grow up among them will hinder the spread of saplings....they are much like beech in that regard....cut and next thing you know there are hundreds shooting up from the roots....One year will give me enough time to gather up a bunch of dri wall buckets.....I set the posts level in the buckets and then fill with concrete...then take the backhoe and scoop out to the correct depth and "plant" post and bucket...then back fill and tamp...we are rock city here and I use the backhoe for everything now...been there done the hole post hole augers....no thank you this is so much faster.and the post don't move around

John1961

RE: getting ready to make fence posts

Postby John1961 » Fri Feb 26, 2010 2:26 am

Sounds like fun. 
John
U.S. Army Retired and Proud American
Black Water Hunting Club
" BUY AMERICAN "

msbadger

RE: getting ready to make fence posts

Postby msbadger » Fri Feb 26, 2010 4:26 am

Aahh ..John ..don't know about fun...but satisfying being able to use materials from the property to improve the property...besides ..fence post have gotten expensive and I need at least 9 footers to hold the fence I'm putting up...cheap...cheap cheap[;)]

Return to Natural Habitat Enhancements