Plotmaster

Your place to discuss ways the habitats for deer can be improved!
whtail101

Plotmaster

Postby whtail101 » Mon Feb 08, 2010 11:56 am

Does anyone here have or have used a plotmaster?  I am thinking about getting one.  Have read some reviews that say dont waste the money and some say they are the greatest thing ever.  Any help or opinions greatly appreciated!

ranwin33

RE: Plotmaster

Postby ranwin33 » Thu Feb 11, 2010 3:34 am

Sounds like you're reading the same reviews I read.  Can't say as I've ever used one, but what I do know is the more weight the better when it comes to disking.

I like the idea of the all in one system, but until I can see one being used on non-tilled ground I wouldn't spend the money they're asking for it. 

For me, I think I'd rather get a small used tractor with a PTO and three point hitch and some used farm implements.  The price of the Plotmaster puts me almost half way there.
“There are two spiritual dangers in not owning a farm. One is the danger of supposing that breakfast comes from the grocery, and the other that heat comes from the furnace.”
Aldo Leopold

dkdesign

RE: Plotmaster

Postby dkdesign » Mon Feb 15, 2010 5:00 am

Whtail- i have not used one of these, however, i have discussed this implement with other members of our 'local Bow Club'.  i am leary of an implement that says it can till and plant in 1 pass that is pulled behind an atv, thus saving time. i dont think you can get the soil worked up like you would want in 1 pass.  Farmers have been using minimum tillage equipment for years, however they are much heavier and geared towards crops such as corn and beans.  i do like the ability to 'drill' the seed at specific depths - this works well for crops like corn and soybeans.  For many other 'food plot' crops (clover - brassicas) I have found it works much better to till the soil well (after spraying with Roundup) fertilize per soil sample recomendations, and broadcast the seed.  For smaller areas I have a hand held broadcast spreader, for large areas I have a spreader attached to my atv. 
To till the soil I use a small disk that is pulled behind an atv.  I purchased this disk for about $850 several years ago.  It is very well made with adjustable angles on the disk.  Depending on the type of soil, it generally takes many passes before the soil is worked up sufficiently.  After it is tilled, I have a 4' drag I then pull to level the area to make a nice seed bed.
for the corn and bean plots I bought an old 4 row John Deere corn planter.  It has adjustable plates so I can also plant beans with it.  I never had any great luck with broadcast spreading corn and beans. 

Return to Natural Habitat Enhancements