Planting Trees from seed....

Your place to discuss ways the habitats for deer can be improved!
PrairieShadow

Planting Trees from seed....

Postby PrairieShadow » Sun Nov 15, 2009 3:41 pm

Alright guys, need some advice.

I got a bag full of acorns in the fridge right now and have read that they need to go through there simulated winter for at least 3 months before planting. What else/next?

I've also got a crab apple tree that the deer love the apples off of. I've tried to grow these seeds for the past 2 years and have been unsuccessful so far.

Any advice?
Hunting isn't a matter of Life or Death
Its MUCH more important than that!

ranwin33

RE: Planting Trees from seed....

Postby ranwin33 » Mon Nov 16, 2009 3:41 pm

Not sure how much help this is:

http://www.ehow.com/how_5516742_start-c ... s-pit.html

As for the acorns I'd just put them on the ground where I want a tree to grow and step on them until they're into the soil and let mother nature take care of the rest. Some will get eaten, some won't grow, but some may come up.
“There are two spiritual dangers in not owning a farm. One is the danger of supposing that breakfast comes from the grocery, and the other that heat comes from the furnace.”
Aldo Leopold

colomabuck

Postby colomabuck » Mon Dec 14, 2009 9:58 am

Not all acorns need to go through the freeze for a year. The white oak acorn will starting growing soon after it falls off the tree, does not even need to be buried. Root leader will break thru shell first and head for the soil.
Your best to do what Rawwin 33 said above.

danesdad

Postby danesdad » Thu Dec 17, 2009 6:19 pm

Be aware that even when the plant has sprouted, squirrels will still dig it up and eat the remains of the acorn.
Hunting: 10% skill and 90% location.

kribbz

Postby kribbz » Fri Dec 18, 2009 1:53 am

guys why not try getting the tree's started at home?  grab a couple of styrofoam cups and some soil.  This way you can get the tree's started with all the right fertilizer and go plant them where you want them.  it also prevents the animals from getting to them. 

PrairieShadow

Postby PrairieShadow » Fri Dec 18, 2009 2:53 am

I've got 9 apple trees planted right now under a grow light in my basement, nothings growing though! How long should apple seeds take to germinate?
Hunting isn't a matter of Life or Death
Its MUCH more important than that!

ranwin33

Postby ranwin33 » Fri Dec 18, 2009 3:51 am

ORIGINAL: PrairieShadow

I've got 9 apple trees planted right now under a grow light in my basement, nothings growing though! How long should apple seeds take to germinate?

A couple of things to remember.. Apple seeds need cold stratification to germinate, so if they didn't go through a period of cold you may not get anything.  Also, if you're using store bought hybridized apples the seeds may be sterile.

If your good with those two things then I've heard it might take 30-60 days for an apple seed to germinate.  I've got no personal experience with this though.
“There are two spiritual dangers in not owning a farm. One is the danger of supposing that breakfast comes from the grocery, and the other that heat comes from the furnace.”
Aldo Leopold

kykevin

Postby kykevin » Tue Jan 12, 2010 2:41 pm

Am I the only one who noticed the phrase "grow light in my basement"? [:)]
-=It's not a passion. It's an obsession.=--

msbadger

Postby msbadger » Tue Jan 12, 2010 5:15 pm

Yes I did.....I have a basement full of grow lights...I couldn't afford to buy the plants to fill a 180 x 80 ft garden without growing my own plants...plus rooted cuttings of grape vines...kiwi....current...ect...The mail lady hates me and my seed catalogs this time of year[;)]

kotten

Postby kotten » Fri Jan 15, 2010 8:21 am

Not all acorns will grow. Put them in a pail of water. The ones that sink to the bottom are the good ones. The ones that float should be discarded as food for the animals.

Next

Return to Natural Habitat Enhancements