PURPLE TOP TURNIP'S

Your place to discuss ways the habitats for deer can be improved!
hookset6969

PURPLE TOP TURNIP'S

Postby hookset6969 » Mon Jan 18, 2010 9:40 am

I just purchased 1# of the purple top turnip for 17.00 buck's and was quoted a price on LADINO white clover, it was 132.00 buck's for 50# does this seem reasonable? The clover price was from a local co-oop and the turnip's I got on-line because the co-oop did not have them. Does anyone know if these turnip's will grow back if they are tilled under in the spring? Or tilled up/ turned over whatever you want to call it. I just thought that I had seen someone on TV once discing these thing's up in the spring/early summer and I was wondering if they were doing this because they might come back? I asked the guy at the co-oop about mixing red clover with the white and he told me that I would be wasting my time because if the white clover is there that the deer would eat that over the red anyway's? Any suggestion's are greatly appreciated, Thank's in advance.

msbadger

RE: PURPLE TOP TURNIP'S

Postby msbadger » Mon Jan 18, 2010 1:42 pm

Wow...www.welterseed.com....they will be helpful on the phone and you can get their catalog mailed to you

msbadger

Postby msbadger » Mon Jan 18, 2010 1:48 pm

Well trying to link that didn't work....but give them a look

hookset6969

Postby hookset6969 » Mon Jan 18, 2010 6:36 pm

MSBADGER thank's for the info I looked them up and just seen that I got screwed on the turnip's because they had them for 2.50 a pound, I don't know what they charge for shipping but it has to be cheaper than what I just paid. However their clover was more expensive at 155.00 for 50# and that didn't include shipping. I know your handy with these food plot's if you have any suggestion's that I could put to use when planting these turnip's or mixing them to get a better plot I'm all ear's. Thank's again.

SHKYBoonie

Postby SHKYBoonie » Mon Jan 18, 2010 7:10 pm

No, the turnips will not generate new growth after they have matured. Your prices seem about right, but keep in mind, these are very small seeds and a little goes a looooong way. 1 lb. of turnips will plant a pretty good size area. 50 lbs. of Ladino clover will seed 10 to 15 acres usually. Ask them at the farmers supply what the seeding rates are for the seeds you are buying, they should have that info. More is not better in this case, you should follow the recommended seed rates for the seed you buy. I mix red, white, arrow leaf and other clovers together in my plots. There are several charts out that tell you the growth rate of the different type of clovers, you can probably find it on the web. I pick ones that grow at different speeds, so you have different stages of new growth in your plot. The white clovers will eventually take over but you will still have some mixture in spots.

msbadger

Postby msbadger » Tue Jan 19, 2010 12:36 am

Good suggestions Skyboonie...The Welter site has individual descriptions and plant needs for each type of seed they grow...VERY useful and correct information that goes beyond mere liming.....

As far as ideas I'd need a bit more info on soil... location and size of the area as well as the available sun light....remember if new sites the sun will change in angle A LOT between spring and fall

As far as shipping the small seed and the small amounts needed ....the seeding rates for both mix and stand alone are listed with each seed....you can manage to get a lot of that seed tightly packed in a US mail flat rate box....they did this for me last year and I have some seed left over.....this makes it easier to test differant seed types from clover/HSG to turnip/rapes....read and talk to them they are helpful on the shipping and they have many seed types...I've used their triticale and it grows well and deer loved it

What I had wanted to do was get a Co-op of my own together and have guys get together and decide on certain seeds to purchase in 50# bags and try to get shipping cost down that way and divide the seed as  to the pre-order needs....but alas time and effort...I suppose...on my part....never got to it....All I can say is find what seeds you really want....look in your area for the availability and price....find out shipping cost and to price per pound and see if it works for you...I know that some seeds I wanted were impossible to find in my area...and my local seed guy was arrested and band from selling seed due to selling the wrong seed to a number of  big farmers...Oppps I never had a problem but my orders were never over a 100.00.....

jsjandro

Postby jsjandro » Wed Jan 20, 2010 8:19 am

welter seed is da place and over 50 lbs its free shipping - so buy your oats there and you are set....

i planted norceen birdsfoot trefoil with jumbo ladino and ladino and.... heres the kicker.... forage feast chickory. the deer and grouse love it more than i thought they would.

i highly recommend it for your perrenial. im in nw wi, and my other plots are a swap year to year of pt turnips and winter oats. in all truth, the deer here could do without the turnips, but i still plant them because they produce a ton of forage, but even at a half acre theres alot of bulbs left in the ground, but most of the greens are eaten. but those oats!!! the deer hit em in oct and dont stop heck they are kicking through the snow for the oats and its almost feb!!!! they love em and if planted in the last week of august they produce quite a bit of forage thats very attractive. the only thing stopping me from planting an entire acre of oats instead of 1/2 each is the variety and the fact theres still some left after season.

as for the bs about deer hacking through the snow to get to turnip bulbs - not here anyways. they go for the oats and clover through the snow instead.

2 lbs max on the turnips in a 1/2 acre, they stunt otherwise and the bulbs are tiny then, if you use a smaller amount the bulbs and plants get ginormous.

this is my award winning plot setup[:)]!! THE DEER LIKE IT plenty!!!! and i planted the turnips beginning in july, and give em another hit of nitro when u plant your oats and they'll grow like pigweed!
only if we had antler point restrictions...:(

try not to become a man of success, but a man of value.

jsjandro

Postby jsjandro » Wed Jan 20, 2010 8:36 am

correction its 1/2 off shipping.
only if we had antler point restrictions...:(

try not to become a man of success, but a man of value.

msbadger

Postby msbadger » Wed Jan 27, 2010 7:47 am

We had a Jan thaw...well we still have some snow but I got these pics today of what use to be my turnip and corn plots.....

SHKYBoonie

Postby SHKYBoonie » Wed Jan 27, 2010 2:21 pm

msbadger, it looks like the deer are really wearing your turnips out! I went this weekend to do a little shed hunting/scouting. I have about a 1/2 acre of turnips planted and the deer haven't been in them much at all. There is only a little sign on one side that they have been in them at all. Of course, we don't get all that much snow and what we did get this year so far has just been light dustings. However, they are eating the clovers big time! You can tell the deer have been spending a great deal of time in them from all the droppings. They have also started working on the soybeans again, eating the bean pods now. Between the deer, turkeys and every bird in the State of KY, they ate my milo fields up early on. What little corn I had got eaten as soon as it dried up by coons and deer. There is still quite a bit of food left in the plots though and I'm sure it will be enough to help through the rest of the Winter.

Next

Return to Natural Habitat Enhancements