Buck Forage Oats???

Your place to discuss ways the habitats for deer can be improved!
ReflexHunter

Buck Forage Oats???

Postby ReflexHunter » Thu Jan 28, 2010 7:04 am

I am trying to figure out what to plant in a new plot this year.  I was wondering if anyone has tried buck forage oats.  If so how well did they grow and did the deer prefer them over other things?  I am unsure what to think about them because the company seems to think they are the ONLY way to go and seem full of themselves.  Any input is appreciated. 

ranwin33

RE: Buck Forage Oats???

Postby ranwin33 » Thu Jan 28, 2010 8:51 am

I can usually find oats for about $20 a 50 pound back at the local farm supply store - that's quite a bit less than Buck Forage oats.  I sincerely doubt there is much difference between the two.

But I haven't used them so I really can't say - but deer being deer I'd say there not going to much care which oats you get just so long as they come up green.
“There are two spiritual dangers in not owning a farm. One is the danger of supposing that breakfast comes from the grocery, and the other that heat comes from the furnace.”
Aldo Leopold

SHKYBoonie

Postby SHKYBoonie » Thu Jan 28, 2010 11:44 am

I second ranwin on this. I have planted oats before as well as rye and wheat. The deer usually do not eat them after they have grown past say 6 to 8 inches. They do not eat the seed heads so you have to be sure to time your planting where they are at the stage that the deer are using while you are able to hunt if you plan on using them as a harvest plot. Once they pass this stage of growth, the deer stop using them like someone turned off a switch.[:)] They become less palatable and more starchy and deer have a hard time digesting them. From my experience the deer seem to favor oats over rye and wheat, but it's not much of a difference. You can put oats in a bag and call them whatever you want. The fact is, and oat is an oat is an oat. If you get the Ph and the fertilizer right in your plot, the Co-Op oats will have just as much nutrition and attraction as the Buck Forage oats at much more of a value.

ReflexHunter

Postby ReflexHunter » Thu Jan 28, 2010 12:14 pm

Thanks for the responses guys.  I don't think I want to plant oats if I have to time the planting just right.  Thanks again.

SHKYBoonie

Postby SHKYBoonie » Thu Jan 28, 2010 12:45 pm

Something you may want to plant is a type of bean or pea. These are great dual stage plots. What I mean by this is, they will feed on the nutrient rich leaves of the plants well into the early Fall, then the deer will eat the beans or peas once they have dried in the Winter. You do have to have a pretty good size plot to be able to get the plants to grow without the deer destroying them early. But, I have gotten away with planting 1/2 acre soybean plots with much success. If you seed at 2 times the normal seed rate the plants will grow taller. If you space them out, they will grow lower to the ground. These type plants usually grow to close up any unused space around them. If you plant them tight, they will still put off the same amount of foliage, they just go up instead of out. Plus they will save alot on fertilizer because you will have to use little or no nitrogen in your mix. These types of plant affix nitrogen to the soil so they don't use it. Other than that, I would probably go with a perennial clover mix. These are very low maintenance and they too only need to be fertilized with a low nitrogen mix. Then just keep them clipped about 4 times a year. The deer will use the clover plot year round and it is some of the best protein a deer can have. Just remember they like it young and tender. Keep it clipped and they will come![:D]

Return to Natural Habitat Enhancements