BIO-LOGIC or WHITETAIL INSTITUTE

Your place to discuss ways the habitats for deer can be improved!
hookset6969

BIO-LOGIC or WHITETAIL INSTITUTE

Postby hookset6969 » Tue Jan 12, 2010 5:17 pm

Anyone ever try these product's? and if so who do you think has the better product? I'm looking to do some plot's and want to get the best seed that's out there if I can? And if anyone know's of some better stuff please let me know, Thank's in advance [:)]

msbadger

RE: BIO-LOGIC or WHITETAIL INSTITUTE

Postby msbadger » Tue Jan 12, 2010 5:27 pm

I've used wht tail institute extreme and the clover....but prefer my own version of the extreme mix.....

SHKYBoonie

Postby SHKYBoonie » Tue Jan 12, 2010 8:19 pm

I have tried both and had about the same results. They are basically the same seeds with different names. Their mixes might contain a little different seeds, but all in all pretty close to the same. I'm like msbadger, I've had better luck mixing my own blends with seed I buy at the local Co-Op. If you go to a store that has these seeds, Bio-logic or WI, it will list the type seeds on the bag. You can get these seeds in bulk at the Co-op or any other farmers seed supply store. The thing these others advertise is that their seeds are specialty blended for deer. What it is biologically engineered to do is grow more leaf mass and less stem or seed. Most of the seeds sold today, with the exception of grain seed, are engineered for this same thing. When you buy it in bulk from seed stores, you are not paying for the name, so it is much cheaper. The seeds I get in bulk also seem to germinate better and grow bigger/stronger plants.

If you are just dead set on using one of these suppliers, either one will do you just as well as the other from my experiences.

ranwin33

Postby ranwin33 » Wed Jan 13, 2010 6:11 am

I pretty much agree with everyone here - you'll do just as well and save money buying from your local MFA or CO-OP.  Why pay for the name.  I've tried some of quite a few of them, and I really can't tell any difference between what I got locally and what I got from the "pros".   Nor do the deer seem to care.
“There are two spiritual dangers in not owning a farm. One is the danger of supposing that breakfast comes from the grocery, and the other that heat comes from the furnace.”
Aldo Leopold

bowman12

Postby bowman12 » Wed Jan 13, 2010 9:02 am

I've only tried Whitetail Institute, I haven't tried all of the products of theres that I'd like to yet, and if you call their 800 number they're super helpful.

Our main nutrition plot is 6 acres in the middle of our 160 acres. We have it planted in WTI's clover and the deer love it. They eat it almost year round, I checked it the other day and they're digging through 18 inches of snow to get to it. I shot my 9 pointer with the bow while he was chowing it this October and he had 4 other bucks with him, and there were several does and fawns eating too. Our soil is very moist, alot of clay in it, and the clover seems to thrive. I guess it doesn't do to well in drier soils but the alfa rack is supposed to fill that niche.

One negative note, we planted 6 acres of buck forage oats this year on 2 harvest plots and it was a bust. Compared to our rye plots, which were very good, it really didn't draw any deer in. We did have a bad growing season so it may have done better on a normal year.

I'm hoping to try WTI's "wintergreens" this year to muzzleload over, and their "pure attraction" too, I've heard deer are nuts over the peas in that mix.

hookset6969

Postby hookset6969 » Thu Jan 14, 2010 2:24 pm

THANK you for the info, I like the idea of the co-op. [:)]

hookset6969

Postby hookset6969 » Thu Jan 14, 2010 2:27 pm

MSBADGER your plot's look fantastic, good job, I'll be happy if mine look half as good as your's.

msbadger

Postby msbadger » Fri Jan 15, 2010 3:23 am

Thanks hookset...I put a lot of planing into them...some years are better than others[;)]...that one took 3 years of pre-planting to get to that stage....by fall the deer ...rabbits and woodchuck took it down to dirt...I'll be over seeding(frost) this March/April...It takes 3 years of annual plants before I'll put in a perennial plot....That way I get a rotation in place.

dkdesign

Postby dkdesign » Fri Jan 15, 2010 4:45 am

These are certainly good products.  I have used both in the past.  I plant many acres of food plots every year on my land as well as custom plots for other hunters.  I have many acres of 'Test Plots' where I have taken several brands and planted side by side to find the difference.  After several years of doing this I have found there are 2 main differences in any of the food plot seeds - 1- Price.  If you look at the ingredients on the bags, you will find the same ingredients in most 'food plot' seeds.  The difference is in outside of the bag - price. 
The biggest difference on the inside of the bag is what each company lists as "inert material" or "inert seed".  This is the fancy term for filler material, or as I call it -weed seed.  The higher the percentage, the more weed seed or at least the more unwanted material is in the bag to fill it.  This is truley the key to finding a good food plot seed.  Find a good seed with almost no inert material.  Even if you are mixing the seed yourself from your local co-op, you need to find out how much inert material is in their seed.
Another key to good food plots is to have soil tested.  You will want to pay special attention to your ph level.  Keep in mind you can not change ph level overnight.  If lime is needed to get your ph to desired levels, it takes 6 months to react.  So any spring plots you plant you will want to check ph in the fall and apply lime if needed then.  Fall plots should be checked and limed in the spring. 
A very good, economical seed with little or no inert material is packaged by Advanced Whitetail Hunting.  You can find their products on-line @ advanced-whitetail-hunting.com.  They also have several mineral products that I have also used.  It is packaged by couple of good guys who are looking for the same thing we all are -good seed at a fair price.   
I have attached a couple of success pics for you to enjoy. 

dkdesign

Postby dkdesign » Fri Jan 15, 2010 4:50 am

I'll try again on the pics

Next

Return to Natural Habitat Enhancements