Adirondacks

Your place to discuss ways the habitats for deer can be improved!
DeerCamp

RE: Adirondacks

Postby DeerCamp » Mon Sep 15, 2008 9:39 am

Good luck to ya Joel
"If I pull the hammer and shoot this young buck, he's dead. But if I pass on him, the next hunter might not shoot so straight."

JOEL

Postby JOEL » Thu Sep 25, 2008 3:34 am

doing the rest of the packing today tying up all the loose ends.cant wait 5 days straight hunting.the weather man is calling for rain the whole trip[&:].Glad i got good rain gear and rubber boots[:)]
"Go afield with a good attitude, with respect for the wildlife you hunt and for the forest and fields in which you walk. Immerse yourself in the outdoor experience. It will cleanse your soul and make you a better person." - Fred Bear

JOEL

Postby JOEL » Thu Oct 09, 2008 9:59 am

short story got a a 3 point buck.will post long story and pics at later time
"Go afield with a good attitude, with respect for the wildlife you hunt and for the forest and fields in which you walk. Immerse yourself in the outdoor experience. It will cleanse your soul and make you a better person." - Fred Bear

JOEL

Postby JOEL » Thu Oct 09, 2008 12:21 pm

http://i170.photobucket.com/albums/u241 ... 406.jpgwas hunting in essex county 5h .the conditions were the worst hot 70's and raining .we tried different spots different stands nothing,not even seeing deer.I normally would let this little guy pass but my guide said not a lot of deer  this year due to winter kill so i should take the first deer i saw.this was it.i was hunting off the ground sitting behind some pine branches on the ol 5 gal pail had 2 shooting lanes based on the wind i figured the deer would approach from the right,he did.around 830 i heard a branch snap i looked down to make sure i was clipped in to the loop i look up and he's staring me in the eyes broadside at 20- 25 yrds.i dont move a muscle just stare back.i have on full camo including gloves ,facemask ,scentloc suit and rubber boots.he stares me up and down,no foot stomp or head bob.he moved hid head behind the lone tree blocking our view.i raised up and drew.thwack right behind the shoulder.he kicked and took off running down the trail to the truck..i could see my blood covered arrow sticking out of the ground.bright red bubbly blood.he wasnt going far.i heard a crash in the distance.i called the guide he came in from the other way he found blood.i worked my way down the blood trail ,it was everywhere,the deer ran off the main trail after 100yrds and died in a clearing.10 yrds off the trail.upon field dressing i knicked the heart got both lungs and knicked the liver.he was quatering more than i thought.he was probably dead while he was running,just didnt know it.the drag was an easy one.back at camp by 930.didnt see another deer all week

jmontefusco

Adirondacks

Postby jmontefusco » Sat Jan 09, 2010 4:31 pm

Happy New Year,
Just ordered 400 trees/shrubs (100 wild apple, 100 Toringa crabapple, 100 Bayberry, 100 Highbush cranberry) Planted few hundred on my place last year (250 acres in So.west corner of Adirondack Park). I have about 10 acres of plots of various mixes. Been amazing for deer/bear/turks and grouse.

Question is - ph terrible (mid 4's). Anybody have any experience with manure and/or bio mass ash (from wood burning for electric producing steam generators) adding to your soils...?

I'd love to hear others experiences...
John

If you don't stand for something, you stand for nothing.

ranwin33

Postby ranwin33 » Mon Jan 11, 2010 5:53 am

As soil amendments both will work well and add some nutrients back into the soil, but don't look for either to raise the pH.  For that, you really need to go with lime.
“There are two spiritual dangers in not owning a farm. One is the danger of supposing that breakfast comes from the grocery, and the other that heat comes from the furnace.”
Aldo Leopold

msbadger

Postby msbadger » Tue Jan 12, 2010 3:02 am

Good ole NY soil.....around 3 ton of lime per acre to get to a good growing level....you'll hear farmers around the upstate areas saying this a lot....

Remember that different limes act differently so a good choice is to mix...

fast acting and the pelleted lime will bring bring the PH up quickly...but does not last long so yearly applications are needed....ag and pulverized does the same but is very hard to spread... farmers say it last longer in the soil

granular lime is easier to spread than pulverized ...less expensive ,but breaks down over a long time...so it's slower on bringing the PH up

I use pelleted and granular lime on all plots and plantings....lime doesn't "travel" through soil....so for plantings dig that $100 hole for the $10 dollar tree [;)] and mix the lime in the soil in the bottom and soil a few inches above the roots your covering.....or if your planting in rows till it in to the row your discing up before planting....I'm assuming that with that many they are the DEC pkg?

zos41

Postby zos41 » Sun Jan 17, 2010 7:39 am

Sounds like you got one of the DEC packages, I got 100 of the crabapple and 100 elderberry from them last spring.

Our NY soil seems to need a lot of lime to grow most things well.

Return to Natural Habitat Enhancements