poison sumac

Your place to discuss ways the habitats for deer can be improved!
marshhunter

poison sumac

Postby marshhunter » Wed Dec 16, 2009 9:34 am

I hunt some farmland that borders a very large swamp. The farmland turns into cedar swamp and then to tamaracks and long marsh grass. The tamaracks and long grass areas are very thick with Poison sumac and deer trails are zigzagging throughout everywhere. I was thinking of clearing out some of the sumac for shooting lanes along the long grass and the tamaracks and then between the cedars and the tamaracks. My question is, Does anyone know of any good way to get rid of the sumac. I have become sensitive to it and would like to get rid of enough of it so I can walk in to my stand without getting it on me. The grass is soo tall that I can only the see the tops of the deers heads when they walk by. Would cutting the grass or planting something else cause the deer to vacate the area.

bowman12

RE: poison sumac

Postby bowman12 » Wed Dec 16, 2009 11:49 am

Poison anything really stinks! I get poison ivy pretty bad and I've been dealing with it on our house lot for about 2 years. I've been spraying it with round-up and it seems to be taking care of it. Some of the real bad spots I've had to hit twice but there is alot less of it now. I think they also make a poison ivy/sumac killer too. Good luck and remember to wash with rubbing alcohol, or something to cut the oil, after you've touched it.

danesdad

Postby danesdad » Thu Dec 17, 2009 6:17 pm

Roundup does have a product that is specifically for poison ivy. It should work on poison sumac too. But it will also kill any other plants it touches, including the grasses you refer to. Plus, you have to spray the leaves, which may not be on the plant in winter.
Hunting: 10% skill and 90% location.

ranwin33

Postby ranwin33 » Fri Dec 18, 2009 3:52 am

We always like a Crossbow and diesel mix when working with woody plants. 
“There are two spiritual dangers in not owning a farm. One is the danger of supposing that breakfast comes from the grocery, and the other that heat comes from the furnace.”
Aldo Leopold

hookset6969

Postby hookset6969 » Thu Dec 31, 2009 4:24 pm

I just seen some idiot's on the TV show a thousand way's to die smoke some of this stuff and they keeled over dead[:D] I guess they picked the wrong WEED!!

marshhunter

Postby marshhunter » Sun Jan 03, 2010 5:47 pm

I heard bad things about inhaling the smoke from poison ivy/sumac burns as well. I guess I will try the roundup and see how that goes.
What does anyone think about cutting the marshgrass shorter in the shooting lanes. Will this cause the deer to avoid this area?
Thanks for your opinions.

ranwin33

Postby ranwin33 » Mon Jan 04, 2010 6:09 am

If you cut the marsh grass shorter it may cause the deer to use the lanes more.  Deer seem to like to take the easy way, so making a few travel lanes with shorter grasses should make walking easier for them.
“There are two spiritual dangers in not owning a farm. One is the danger of supposing that breakfast comes from the grocery, and the other that heat comes from the furnace.”
Aldo Leopold

Ohio farms

Postby Ohio farms » Mon Jan 04, 2010 4:16 pm

Don't burn it. The oil becomes vaporized, you in hale  it and you are in big trouble.  Best time to spray is when it is warm outside. The plant will absorb it better.  Evil stuff.

Return to Natural Habitat Enhancements