Minerals and Licks

Your place to discuss ways the habitats for deer can be improved!
logawhit01

Minerals and Licks

Postby logawhit01 » Tue Nov 24, 2009 3:20 am

Gentlemen and Ladies,

What in your opinion are the best Minerals and or Licks that can be used for supplimental deer nutrition for both Does and Growing Bucks?

Enjoy your hunting, Love God and then your family

ranwin33

RE: Minerals and Licks

Postby ranwin33 » Tue Dec 01, 2009 4:26 am

Get yourself a 50# red mineral block from the local farm supply store.  It's the easiest way to create a mineral lick and will have many of the minerals you will find in commercial minerals "designed for deer".

As for all the commercial stuff out there, I honestly cannot believe that deer would take in enough minerals from these type of sites to really make much difference in body/antler growth.  I'm sure they don't hurt, but how much help they provide is still a big question mark for me. 

If you want to have a healthy herd, then manage the population by shooting does so it doesn't over populate your land, allow young bucks to walk so you have a decent representation of various age classes, make sure the deer get plenty of nutrition year round.

You won't develop a healthy deer population by simply putting out mineral licks despite what some advertisers claim.
“There are two spiritual dangers in not owning a farm. One is the danger of supposing that breakfast comes from the grocery, and the other that heat comes from the furnace.”
Aldo Leopold

cwanty03

RE: Minerals and Licks

Postby cwanty03 » Mon Jan 04, 2010 6:16 am

lucky buck has seemed to work well, also mega rack

Return to Natural Habitat Enhancements