MULBERRY AND RASPBERRY

Your place to discuss ways the habitats for deer can be improved!
hookset6969

MULBERRY AND RASPBERRY

Postby hookset6969 » Sun Dec 27, 2009 8:13 pm

I have some ground that I would like to put some MULBERRY tree's on and a few RASPBERRY bushes to compliment the already apple tree's. Even thought of some Hazlnut tree's, I'm over in west central WI and from what I've read these could all grow there. Has anyone ever had any luck with any of these as far as the deer using them.

msbadger

RE: MULBERRY AND RASPBERRY

Postby msbadger » Mon Dec 28, 2009 12:10 am

Yes...We have wild and cultivated  raspberries and I planted mulberry trees...the trees are different sizes due to the fact that the deer rubbed one and have a tendency to break of branches...cage them...I also have hazel nut bushes the deer browse those as well... stopping any crops ...the Japanese beetles flock to them too....wrap bases against rodents chewing...then there are the raccoons that climb up and snap of leaders...turkey... grouse ...and we all love them(mulberries)...I have plans to plant more....as far as berries go I'd lean toward the blk berries ...they tend to hold their leaves longer and are in general sturdier plants...but if you do want a raspberry patch ...you can't beat Heritage...they will spread like wild fire and are an ever bearing type...the deer are in mine all summer and fall...Another great tree are reliance and any good cold hardy peach tree...they tend to bare late and very heavy...If you want peaches thin in spring....I've actually had problems with turkey jumping under them to snatch of the near ripe fruit....just protect from rodents and tree borers...2 biggest problems but easy to fix....semi dwarf will bare fruit in 2 years....  

hookset6969

RE: MULBERRY AND RASPBERRY

Postby hookset6969 » Mon Dec 28, 2009 7:06 am

MSBADGER, Thank's for the info I'm studying hard and would love to get a nice variety of bushes and fruit tree's to go along with the already ag crop's that are there. I have a 40 that is primarily wood's but have a couple of area's picked out to put some bushes or fruit tree's. Just down the road about 3 miles my dad has a 60 that has plenty of tillable ground that I plan on doing something with also.

Return to Natural Habitat Enhancements