Food Plot for next year...

Your place to discuss ways the habitats for deer can be improved!
gerks

Food Plot for next year...

Postby gerks » Fri Aug 14, 2009 4:12 pm

Background: I own 40 acres. About 35 is woods and 5 is field. The 5 acres is connected to a larger field and is closest to the woods. I rent the 5 acres to the farmer that owns the rest of the field and am at the mercy of whatever he plants in the field each year. This year it is corn - which is awesome for deer this year and turkeys next spring. However when I was talking to him a couple days ago - he said that next year it will be soybeans. It had been beans last year and I had a good season, but they just don't draw and hold deer very well all through the hunting months. It seems the bucks hit it hard early and then when the leaves turn yellow and start to fall off (often a week or so BEFORE our bow season!!), they leave it alone until winter and hit the beans again after they've been harvested. I told him that next year I'd like to plant a food plot (about 1/2 an acre) in one corner of my field. I can get the equipment (Tractor/4-wheeler, tiller, planter, etc..) from a friend so that isn't a problem. My questions are: What should I plant? Is it even worth it? Is 1/2 an acre of ANYTHING going to help draw deer? I'd love to put the whole 5 acres into some type of food plot, but the rent $$ helps pay the taxes and I don't think I can swing that. It would be best to plant in the spring when he plants the beans so I don't have to work around them later in the summer...

I highlighted where the food plot would go on the map - The pines to the East are an awesome bedding area and I already have a good stand in the Northeast corner of my field that would overlook the food plot perfectly. I can hunt the parcels of land to the North, Northwest, and West of mine as well - I just don't own the land. No one hunts the parcel to my East (pines/woods/fields...) As you can see I am just outside of town and on a clear evening can hear the football games being announced on the field from my stand! :)

Let me know what you all think! :)

Thanks, Gerks

Goose

RE: Food Plot for next year...

Postby Goose » Sat Aug 15, 2009 3:23 am

Spring planted.....
Your best bet would probably be a white clover such as Durana white clover. Maybe even mix in some red.Being a fairly small plot a clover will take the browsing pressure pretty good. You could also go with the harder to grow Alfalfa for the same reasons.
Sugar beets would also be a good option but I fear that the deer may wipe them out. With the soybeans right next to it though, you may be alright.
Jake

Genesis 27:3 Take your bow and quiver full of arrows out into the open country, and hunt some wild game.....

Deadon

Postby Deadon » Thu Oct 22, 2009 8:53 am

Gerks, how much $ are you getting for the 5 acres in rent?  Unless it's really helping you pay your taxes, I would just go with the 5 acre plot, even 3 acres.  I'm not far from you, and if I don't plant at least a 3 acre plot, there's just nothing left of it come september.  The best thing is fall plots, like Oats or WW or Turnips.  Clover works well, but a 1/2 acre will be absolutely hammered in that corner.  I found that planting clover inside the woods on cut trails works better, and you can place stands in different areas and also see deer later in the morning and earlier in the evening.  Good Luck!

ranwin33

Postby ranwin33 » Thu Oct 22, 2009 9:07 am

Go with something that will stay green longer, i.e. clover.  Over seed some brassicas later in the year if you like.

Not sure how much you're getting from 5 acres of rental, but if it were me I think I'd tell the farmer to plant his crop and leave it, and pay him for his seed and time.  If he wants to come back after season and get the crop he's more than welcome to it, otherwise he can just till it under next year when he plants again.
“There are two spiritual dangers in not owning a farm. One is the danger of supposing that breakfast comes from the grocery, and the other that heat comes from the furnace.”
Aldo Leopold

deer hunter

Postby deer hunter » Mon Dec 21, 2009 7:48 am

i have 2 acres behind my house and i am twelve do all the work my self and i need tips on how to draw deer to my set ups.... the brush is thick and i found a small clearing where i hung a ladder stand with a small food plot and a tater pile beside a small watering hole that is clearly used alot but ive never seen a deer from it there is a scrape appr. 20 yds from my stand. any ideas.... my other setup is a blind on a DESERTED dirt bike path that hasnt been used in well over two years, so the ground is very mushy perfect for food plots with cornpiles... PLEASE TELL ME HOW TO DRAW DEER TO MY SETUPS....i forgot to mention that i am twelve and each stand is within two hundred yards of my north carolina home

Relentless

Postby Relentless » Mon Dec 21, 2009 9:00 am

gerks, have you given any thought to letting the farmer plant the five acres in beans and then "buy" an acre or two from him?  Meaning have him not harvest them.  I see you are from WI...so once it snows your beans will be easy grub for the deer.  I think you would be pleased with the results.  Also, this would allow you to focus labor and time efforts to improving the 35 acres of timber.
Bucks and does alike, if I ever lose the rush leading up to and after a kill, I will hang it up. Knowing me, that will never happen.

ranwin33

Postby ranwin33 » Mon Dec 21, 2009 4:20 pm

ORIGINAL: deer hunter

i have 2 acres behind my house and i am twelve do all the work my self and i need tips on how to draw deer to my set ups.... the brush is thick and i found a small clearing where i hung a ladder stand with a small food plot and a tater pile beside a small watering hole that is clearly used alot but ive never seen a deer from it there is a scrape appr. 20 yds from my stand. any ideas.... my other setup is a blind on a DESERTED dirt bike path that hasnt been used in well over two years, so the ground is very mushy perfect for food plots with cornpiles... PLEASE TELL ME HOW TO DRAW DEER TO MY SETUPS....i forgot to mention that i am twelve and each stand is within two hundred yards of my north carolina home

I think the problem you're going to run into, being 12 years old, is that you most likely have limited access to the tools you'll need to put in a decent sized food plot, plus being 12 and working on your own, there may also be limits to what you can do.

But let's say you've got a decent sized spot that gets plenty of sunlight. Clear the area as best you can of all brush and ground cover. Worse case scenario, get yourself a big toothed rake and a corn knife and plan on spending a few afternoons clearing things.

Once you get everything cleared out and you've got a lot of dirt showing, plant some winter wheat and some red and white clover. If you get snow in your area, don't bother with the wheat and this February go out and spread the clover seed for frost seeding.

Next spring you should have a foodplot that will start to draw deer early in the year and should keep them coming in all season long. Once deer get used to eating on the plot, they'll continue to show for the hunting season.

You might also get yourself a 50 pound block of salt and dig a 3x3 foot 6 inch deep depression in the soil, dump the salt block in it, and creat a salt lick. You can probably do that now, provided hunting over such is legal where you live.

The salt block and clover seed should cost you less than $20. It won't be perfect, but it should get you off to a good start.

Best of luck and let us know how things turn out.
“There are two spiritual dangers in not owning a farm. One is the danger of supposing that breakfast comes from the grocery, and the other that heat comes from the furnace.”
Aldo Leopold

GTOHunter

Postby GTOHunter » Sun Dec 27, 2009 9:26 am

Info for Gerks,

First of all if your limited to the amount of ground you can plant anything on I would plant several types of clover along all your field edges,logging roads and any other paths or openings you may have that the clover would grow.If the Farmer plants soybeans and harvest them does he do any fall planting of Winter Wheat?That would help You out in late Fall and early Spring,if not then I would plant a 1/2 or 1 acre Food Plot in the corner you have marked,that looks like a great area where the Deer may bed down and feel secure about coming out to feed.Personally I like the Brassicas,Rape,and Turnips they make some really nice big tops and you could add in a few Sugar Beets too.They can take the early browsing and will continue to grow,the deer hit it more after a good frost when the tops/leaves turn to more sugar.The Whitetail Institute makes a hardy "Winter Greens" that with stands colder weather and last til late Winter also.Don't be scared to try different seeds or try others together to see what the Deer like and what works in your type of terrain or Hunting conditions. [;)]

Info for Deer Hunter:

If your limited to Farming equipment what I usually do is I frost seed clover (spread with a small hand-held spreader or hand throw) around Feb or early March on all the areas that are mowed,pathways,logging roads etc...to get some clover established around my Hunting Area.I usually buy my clover loose/in bulk at the local Feed Stores or I try to catch it on sale at any Sporting Goods Store,Wal-Mart or the local Buchheits Hardware/Lumber Store.I like the brand names of Evolved Harvet like "Shot Plot","Hot Spot" "Throw & Grow" etc...the Pennington "Clover Trio" is a very good product or you can mix your own if you find a good Store that sells in Bulk Bins so You can buy what ever amount you can afford.I use White Clover,Red Clover and Ladino mostly...You'll pay the most for any White Clover of any brand.When money is an issue I buy a few pounds of different type Clover each week after payday and take a walk around the Farm (Spring Frost Seeding time in Feb or March) I spread some clover as I walk along the logging roads,paths and the filed edges where I have my ladder stands set up,after doing this each year I have a nice growth of clover where ever the Deer go and I hunt!It doesn't matter if it is on a road or field edge where anyone drives it will grow in between and around the tracks of a truck or 4-wheeler and clover likes to grow in mowed area's!

Like Ranwin33 mentioned a salt block and a mineral lick will help draw in Deer also,I usually buy the name brand minerals,dig up some dirt and pour it in the hole and mix together,then pour a little on top for good measure.As far as using the salt I just set a white block on the ground and let it work into the soil or they will use it like that.Some people like to set up a dripper to get the salt on the ground by putting salt in a plastic bucket,drill some holes in the bottom of the bucket and hang it up on a sturdy branch,when it rains the salt will dilute onto the ground.We have taken a cut-off blue jean pants leg,tie 1 end shut,pour in the salt then tie the other end up and hang it from a tree branch too,or you could just buy a "Trophy Rock" and set it on the ground and get the same results.  

Be sure to check your States Rules & Regulations about salt,minerals and putting any type of Food or Grain on the ground in case there are any "Baiting Laws" in the State You Hunt or live in or concerns about CWD (Chronic Waste Diseases)?

Return to Natural Habitat Enhancements