Game Camera...no deer in day time

Your place to discuss ways the habitats for deer can be improved!
BlountArrow

Game Camera...no deer in day time

Postby BlountArrow » Wed Sep 30, 2009 6:09 am

I have about 130 acres I manage for mostly deer and turkeys.  I've been putting food plots out for at least 5 years and the deer sightings are still hit or miss so that tells you I'm not in a largely populated deer area. 

Anyways, I dont think the hunting pressure is that bad...to my knowledge no one hunts the property I manage - not even I due to the low population.  Naturally, I'm sure there is hunting pressure on surrounding properties and a nearby wildlife mgt area. 

I just can't figure out why I only get pics of deer at night.  It is probably just coincidence but for the last 3 years I've gotten maybe 1 or 2 pics of deer during the day and EVERYTHING else has been at night.  Any theories about this anyone?  The camera is setup viewing a foodplot and corn feeder.  I get plenty of day time pics of some really big Toms but NO DEER. 

gunther89

RE: Game Camera...no deer in day time

Postby gunther89 » Wed Sep 30, 2009 7:21 am

There are alot of reasons why they aren't showing up during daylight hours.  1 could be that there is a better food source just inside the woods like acorns and that is causing the deer to hold up and not enter the field until its dark out.  Also it could be human scent in the area.  If deer smell you they will go nocturnal and then the best chance of getting them on camera would be the rut.
Scott

reeper0697

Postby reeper0697 » Wed Sep 30, 2009 8:29 am

How often do you go in the woods to check your camera and feeder? The surrounding pressure could have a big impact and thats why you are only seeing them at night. Maybe they associate the feeder during daylight hours with danger and therefore only visit it at night. If we could only get into those little buggers minds!
Put me on a mountain, way back in the backwoods
Put me on a lake with biggin' on the line
Put me around a campfire cookin' something I just cleaned

BlountArrow

Postby BlountArrow » Wed Sep 30, 2009 9:24 am

Sometimes it is as long as 2 weeks before I go check my feeders/foodplots or cameras.  But, more often than not probably once a week I'm bouncing through the woods.  I like to keep an eye on things.  Something is up I just cant put my finger on it.  I'm not thinking there is any trespassing on my property - dont see tracks or other signs of "pressure".  I could understand the Bucks being primarily nocturnal but even the Does seem to be elusive night owls.  I've never deer hunted this property by the way.  1. The population of deer is fairly low and 2. I just wouldn't feel right killing a deer when the population is at such low numbers in my area of TN.  Especially when I'm trying to help the numbers so that maybe some day it will be a place my son(s) can deer hunt because as it stands right now we end up driving at least 2 hours and many times 4 hours away to get to decent deer habitat.
JP
"Let the Lil' guys walk..."

kykevin

Postby kykevin » Wed Sep 30, 2009 11:34 am

when you are "bouncig" through the woods on your weekly trips do you use any scent control? is there alot of deer sign in the area? My guess is either like already said deer have food they can eat in a safer place during daylight or too much travel in one area will push deer to be nocturnal.
-=It's not a passion. It's an obsession.=--

BlountArrow

Postby BlountArrow » Thu Oct 01, 2009 4:26 am

No, I dont use scent control when going to the camera to check it.  That would be a thought but I generally take my 4 wheeler about half of the way and walk the rest of the way in - - just to keep the noise level down a little in my food plot locations (where a camera is located).
JP

kykevin

Postby kykevin » Thu Oct 01, 2009 12:08 pm

are you by chance diving or walking close to a bedding area on your way to the food plot?
-=It's not a passion. It's an obsession.=--

BlountArrow

Postby BlountArrow » Fri Oct 02, 2009 1:04 am

Naw, I dont do much "diving" in the woods I save that for the pools or lakes. 

I wish there was enough deer in my area to conclusively say where the bedding areas are, but in answer to your question no I dont think I'm disturbing a bedding area.  Sure, I've seen bedding spots at different locations but nothing near where my camera is located - to my knowledge.  You got to remember the population is fairly low.  I think around 1,000 deer total were killed in my county last year (maybe a lil' more but not much).
JP

Goose

Postby Goose » Fri Oct 02, 2009 2:29 am

I would consider driving your ATV right to the camera, checking the camera, and going on your way.
Its hard to say.....
Jake

Genesis 27:3 Take your bow and quiver full of arrows out into the open country, and hunt some wild game.....

Cgull

Postby Cgull » Fri Oct 02, 2009 4:39 am

Scent control is a must for game cameras. I wear rubber boots, rubber gloves, scent free clothing (I dont want to rub on browse or limbs with cloths that smell of detergent or work/home odors) and I make sure not to touoch anything with my bare skin. If I accidentally touch or rub a limb with my bare skin, I'll cut the limb with my pocket pruners then stick the limb as high up in a thickly limbed tree. Overkill? Maybe but i dont want any sign of my visit left around my cameras. I use the rubber gloves when opening, closing and changing memory and batteries. I then rub fresh dirt on the top of the camera and on the strap or cable, finishing off with a a good spray down with scent killing spray. I get great deer and bear close ups and I believe i good the good photos because of the care I use when setting or checking my game cameras.
we should insist the immigrant who comes here in good faith becomes an American and assimilates himself to us, There can be no divided allegiance here. Any man who says he is an American, but something else also, isn`t an American at all

Next

Return to Natural Habitat Enhancements