Game Camera...no deer in day time

Your place to discuss ways the habitats for deer can be improved!
roebu001

RE: Game Camera...no deer in day time

Postby roebu001 » Tue Nov 24, 2009 6:42 am

I hunt in the thickets of South Alabama and from my experience it is not the norm to see your mature bucks come out in the open during the day light hours (except during the rut).  They usually browse around in the thick woods during the day and will frequent the food plots at night.  I don't hunt over corn b/c it is illegal here nor do I use a game camera but if I wanted to get some good pics of mature bucks during the day, I would suggest finding a good travel route in the woods and setting up my camera there.  I would also try to hide it as much as possible so it don't stick out like a soar thumb.  Just my 2 cents. 

bwhntr

Postby bwhntr » Wed Nov 25, 2009 3:57 pm

This is what I think takes place with the whitetail. Both bucks and does are taught by their mother at their very first day of birth about predators. Not man so much in particular, but coyotes, mountain lions(where they live), free roaming wild dogs, etc. I also think that over time, they are also taught about the many metallic sounds that man does make, vehicles (including 4 wheelers), talking, the placing of treestands, even the sounds and way that man walks through the woods. These scents are not a normal part of their surroundings. Those of us, including me that use automated feeders, which have a mechanical sound of their own, is not a natural sound also, that the whitetail is accustomed to in the woods. The last few days, I have had the opportunity to watch them in a pretty good size food plot. I could hear a vehicle going down the gravel road, and some of the deer stopped feeding and looked that direction for a few minutes, before they continued feeding. When the moon was full, back in October, just before leaving my stand for the evening, the deer were feeding in the middle of the foodplot, staying away from the edges. Nearly all of the pictures that I get on camera are at night also. I know that this is a long read, but that is what I have seen first hand. They are very on edge creatures, taught from birth, and as they procreate, they continue to teach their young.

hwayhunter

Postby hwayhunter » Mon Nov 30, 2009 7:50 pm

I have the problem that your are having, and all I can say is it may be worth the effort to look for additional food sources somewhere through-out your property. Being able to hunt over bait, I think, is an advantage.......sometimes. I would be willing to bet that there is another abundant food source on yours or the adjoining properties. In my situation, I noticed that the deer weren't eating corn as much as they had in the past and when they were it was at night. So after a morning hunt I went looking, and on my property I found a small grove of oak trees that were raining acorns. I moved my camera into that section and got a lot of pics of a lot of deer I didn't even know were there, and mostly between 5 am to 10 am. Needless to say i didn't know about this stand of oaks but i will have a stand up in there next year. 

ColdBowhunter

Postby ColdBowhunter » Wed Dec 09, 2009 4:50 am

i start feeding around september and see deer until the end of october.  then gun season opens and deer are gone.  they are out only at night.  i still hunt but switch stands.(i have 4 set up)  deer will get use to your scent if you are out there everyday through the year.  they know when gun season is every fall.  you need to find there bedding areas.  if you don't have anything you can try driving an atv when the deer are feeding at night and stay out of the bush in the day time.( unless hunting)  i do this at my place in december after the deer are relaxing.  i will make them start feeding during the day time.
Hunting is Hunting. Just get out there and do it!!!

Stickman

Postby Stickman » Sun Dec 13, 2009 2:55 pm

Must be too much activity, it does not take too much human activity to make deer go nocturnal in any area.

Previous

Return to Natural Habitat Enhancements