Game Camera...no deer in day time

Your place to discuss ways the habitats for deer can be improved!
Goose

RE: Game Camera...no deer in day time

Postby Goose » Fri Oct 02, 2009 6:44 am

Cgull- I do the same thing except when I accidentally touch something with my body I spray it with scentkiller rather than cutting it off.
I thought I was the only nut!
Jake

Genesis 27:3 Take your bow and quiver full of arrows out into the open country, and hunt some wild game.....

jacannon63

Postby jacannon63 » Fri Oct 02, 2009 11:56 am

I have taken more than 2000 pics since June and more than 95% of them are at night. IMO This is normal during the heat of summer
Stump sittin since 1981

GTOHunter

Postby GTOHunter » Sat Oct 03, 2009 4:15 pm

I've been getting a few day time pictures of Doe's with their Fawns but the rest are all night time pictures with my Moultrie I-60 Infared camera.I have only gotten night time pictures of the Bucks on our 100 Acre Farm,most are from 10:00 PM and on up to the early mornings of around 5:00 Am just before daylight.So far I have a young 6-Point Buck on the camera,a bigger 7-Point Buck and a very nice size 10-Point Buck.Its been a crazy year and hopefully the Bucks will be moving more in the early mornings and late evenings when they start making rubs and making their ground scrapes?I did find a few fresh rubs on 2 Cedar trees on the back side of our Farm and I set up my older Moultrie digital camera to see the size of the Buck that was making the rubs and what time of day or night it is traveling?

Wolf River Hunter

Postby Wolf River Hunter » Sun Oct 04, 2009 3:46 pm

I don't think it's just the human scent. I have an area I am prepping for next year and have no intentions of hunting this year, I have a food plot and some feed in front of the camera. I check the camera every other day and I don't practice any scent control. I touch everything with bare hands and when I go in I usually trim brush etc and sweat everywhere. Sometimes I ride a 4 wheeler right up to it other times I walk. Bottom line is my stink is everywhere. I get about 40-50 pictures every 2 days and around 10 of them are daytime. I'm guessing they are of the same 2 does and their fawns with an occasional buck mixed in. If scent was enough to make them go night time only, I would have nothing but night pictures by now. (Cameras have been out since August).

gaylord

Postby gaylord » Thu Oct 08, 2009 2:25 pm

Not surprised...Feeding corn over a couple years most of the deer should be noctural.
I use no scent killer and within 6 hours i have pictures of deer coming in does and bucks. I record all my pictures and normally its 50 % day and night. But it can vary depending when a storm is coming in. Its been proven corn will make deer noctural so why do we keep fighting it?

ranwin33

Postby ranwin33 » Fri Oct 09, 2009 5:31 am

ORIGINAL: gaylord

Not surprised...Feeding corn over a couple years most of the deer should be noctural.
I use no scent killer and within 6 hours i have pictures of deer coming in does and bucks. I record all my pictures and normally its 50 % day and night. But it can vary depending when a storm is coming in. Its been proven corn will make deer noctural so why do we keep fighting it?

You seem to be on this anti-corn kick as most of your posts mention it.  Got to tell you, we use corn after the season and into spring green up, and every deer I've shot has been during daylight hours.  If corn makes deer go nocturnal, then why do all those big game ranches in Texas feed it to their deer.  And no, it's not been proven that corn will make deer go nocturnal.
“There are two spiritual dangers in not owning a farm. One is the danger of supposing that breakfast comes from the grocery, and the other that heat comes from the furnace.”
Aldo Leopold

davhunt

Postby davhunt » Thu Oct 22, 2009 7:23 am

i live in a little town in eastern ky and they ant many deer here. ive been managing my land for bout 5 years now and ive got several different does and ive got a nice 10,9,8 and 2 more small 8 on camera. all ive got is 3 small food plots and and 3 feeders all i feed them is corn. they've been eating it for 5 years now and they havent went complete nocturnal thats the first ive heard of that. 

Hawgnman

Postby Hawgnman » Sat Oct 24, 2009 2:04 pm

Deer become nocturnal mostly due to pressure. Where I hunt there are dog hunters. This turns the deer nocturnal. It's also possible that the deer prefer to bed far from your food plots. They may visit other food sources along the way, so it's dark by time they arrive at your food plots.

I would only visit the cameras during mid-day. Any other time you are adding pressure on the deer.
Grace Happens

Jim /*
http://www.racksnspurs.com/

chedrick

Postby chedrick » Mon Nov 09, 2009 7:19 pm

I also get 99% of my game camera pictures at night.  Most of the time I fill feeders and check my cameras around noon to 2 pm.  My presence is the only "pressure" the animals have, besides natural predators.  A notion I have been considering is checking cameras and filling feeders at night.  Most pictures I have are between 10 pm and 4 am.  Does anyone think this will work in promoting more daytime deer movement?

tumor96

Postby tumor96 » Mon Nov 16, 2009 7:58 pm

The only time I get pictures of bucks during shooting hours, other than an occasional summer visit, is about two weeks before rifle opener each year. This has usually coincided with the "seeking" phase of the rut, which this year, seems to be about two weeks behind, according to my camera. This should improv our chances of seeing some antlers opening day. I check my camera in the early afternoon, if possible, about every 4-5 days when I bait, and spray my camera with scent killer after i'm finished, just to be thorough (along with rubber boots). I do not think we will ever fully understand why they avoid moving as much during the day outside of hunting seasons.
"your right to free speech in no way guarantees you will not be offended by mine"...

PreviousNext

Return to Natural Habitat Enhancements