Swamp Donkey

Your place to discuss ways the habitats for deer can be improved!
MIhunt

Swamp Donkey

Postby MIhunt » Tue Jan 03, 2012 12:57 am

Has anybody ever used Primos Swamp Donkey? I've heard that the deer go crazy for it but want to be sure at 10.00$ a bag or more. I know that Ted Nugent swears by at in his TV show on the Outdoor Channel. Id like to hear the good and bad parts.

ranwin33

Re: Swamp Donkey

Postby ranwin33 » Wed Jan 04, 2012 4:16 pm

I have not used it, but rest assured it is hype.

Nothing makes deer "go crazy", other than a female deer in estrus. And even reproducing that effect with various scents is no guarantee it will bring a deer in.

If you can bait, save your money and buy a 50 pound sack of corn. It will be better spent.

If it sounds like it is too good to be true, it probably is.
“There are two spiritual dangers in not owning a farm. One is the danger of supposing that breakfast comes from the grocery, and the other that heat comes from the furnace.”
Aldo Leopold

MIhunt

Postby MIhunt » Tue Jan 17, 2012 4:08 pm

I dont think it would make deer go crazy but my thought is that maybe only the deer would touch it. Might be a long shot but who knows. Weve done the 50 lb bag of corn but in Michigan your limited to 2 gallons. The times weve thrown corn out by the time were done sitting for an hour the birds, squirrels, and chipmunks have eaten most of it. The turkey have also ripped apart our areas before. Any other food thoughts that might help? We mainly use corn and sugar beats now.

Sopchoppy

Postby Sopchoppy » Tue Jan 17, 2012 6:28 pm

I've tried the pellets.....deer ate some but most of it molded b4 it was eaten. They did eat the molasses block in a couple of weeks. Ain't none of this stuff as good as they say it is. Plain ole corn, apples, carrots are deer's food of choice. These manufactured things are mostly grain pressed or extruded into nuggets or pellets.

Return to Natural Habitat Enhancements