Honeysuckle

Your place to discuss ways the habitats for deer can be improved!
kykevin

Honeysuckle

Postby kykevin » Sun Nov 01, 2009 11:51 am

Anyone ever plant Honeysuckle?
-=It's not a passion. It's an obsession.=--

Cut N Run

RE: Honeysuckle

Postby Cut N Run » Sun Nov 01, 2009 4:39 pm

I have transplanted it and it performed great.  I moved it to the edge of a brushpile we made into a turkey blind.  A few years ago, I  drove some rebar stakes into the ground and stretched welded wire between the stakes and then planted honeysuckle beside the wire.  Now, you can hardly tell there is wire there because the honeysuckle is so thick.

Jim
Luck Counts, good or bad

eagle eye

Postby eagle eye » Mon Nov 02, 2009 8:33 am

As previously stated this can very effectively done as mentioned. It is critical to use the wire mesh if you would lioke to control the growth and utilize it as a blind because it will grow so aggressively. This and American beautyberry (Callicarpa americana) are excellent cover plants and the deer love it as a food source.
John Wojtas
Enjoying the moment and always striving to enhance our hunting heritage

ranwin33

Postby ranwin33 » Tue Nov 03, 2009 6:09 am

Arrowwood is another fine choice.  I think it is also a member of the honeysuckle family.
“There are two spiritual dangers in not owning a farm. One is the danger of supposing that breakfast comes from the grocery, and the other that heat comes from the furnace.”
Aldo Leopold

ssm1959

Postby ssm1959 » Fri Nov 06, 2009 1:50 pm

After managing land for 45 years I can say you will come to regret planting honeysuckle.  

ranwin33

Postby ranwin33 » Fri Nov 06, 2009 4:54 pm

ORIGINAL: ssm1959

After managing land for 45 years I can say you will come to regret planting honeysuckle.  

Too invasive?
“There are two spiritual dangers in not owning a farm. One is the danger of supposing that breakfast comes from the grocery, and the other that heat comes from the furnace.”
Aldo Leopold

Return to Natural Habitat Enhancements