Other than apples

Your place to discuss ways the habitats for deer can be improved!
smitty

Other than apples

Postby smitty » Tue Oct 27, 2009 10:25 am

I was wondering what everyone plants for deer/wildlife other than apples.  I would like to plant some apple trees next year and have about 15 autumn olives started in the house right now.  Im not sure if the will take but well give it a shot.  Any other suggestions?
"Freedom Isn't Free"

kykevin

RE: Other than apples

Postby kykevin » Tue Oct 27, 2009 11:29 am

I'm a big fan of persimmon trees. I plan on planting a few this coming year. I have always said I was gonna plant some apple trees but I still havent. They say the best time to plant a tree is 10 years ago....
-=It's not a passion. It's an obsession.=--

Stickman

Postby Stickman » Tue Oct 27, 2009 1:41 pm

I planted 7 apple trees this spring. I already have a persimmon grove that I did not plant myself. Next spring I am going to plant plum trees and sawtooth oaks.

bowhuntingbiker

Postby bowhuntingbiker » Tue Oct 27, 2009 2:02 pm

PEARS!!!!!!!! Never fail me!!!! BHB

DoeEyed

Postby DoeEyed » Tue Oct 27, 2009 7:44 pm

Plums and pears and apples. Happy deer [:D]
All I have seen teaches me to trust the Creator for all I have not seen ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson

smitty

Postby smitty » Wed Oct 28, 2009 6:29 am

Plum and pears sound good I might give them a try.  I know they should be fenced off for a while so they dont get destroyed by deer and bears, about how long or how big should they be prior to taking the fence down?

How well do the persimmon trees grow in colder climates?  I live in michigans upper peninsula (all be it on the west side of lake mich.) and we can get some harsh winters.

How long dose it take for sawtooth oaks to start producing? 

Im not huge on instant gratification but I think the deer have different ideas.  At least that what I keep telling myself.  [:)][:)]
"Freedom Isn't Free"

sagittarius

Postby sagittarius » Sat Oct 31, 2009 5:27 am

Along with 6 apple trees .... 2 pear, elderberry, service berry, hazlenut, wild american plum, high bush cranberry, red oak, white oak, red maple, ...

Plus ... putting cages on wild crabapple and bur oak seedlings so they don't get browsed off as seedlings, and have a chance to mature.  
"The real problem is not how we shall handle the deer in this emergency. The real problem is one of human managment. Wild life managment is comparatively easy; human management difficult." Aldo Leopold, March 1943

Legacy

Postby Legacy » Sun Nov 01, 2009 5:46 am

there are several apple orchards around me, so there is a ton of apples, making my pear trees the favorite on my property. My suggestion is to plant something different than what is around.

ranwin33

Postby ranwin33 » Tue Nov 03, 2009 6:11 am

Crab apples
Chinquapin oaks
Persimmon
Pear
Cherry
Peach
Apples

We're pretty much trying a little of everything.

“There are two spiritual dangers in not owning a farm. One is the danger of supposing that breakfast comes from the grocery, and the other that heat comes from the furnace.”
Aldo Leopold

Return to Natural Habitat Enhancements