which apple trees

Your place to discuss ways the habitats for deer can be improved!
milkie62

which apple trees

Postby milkie62 » Sun Oct 25, 2009 12:35 pm

My first post here.I have cleared some small areas for food plots.Where can I get a decent caliper tree 3/4-1" in size and what are two good varieties for pollination ?

buckhunter21

RE: which apple trees

Postby buckhunter21 » Mon Oct 26, 2009 7:59 am

Welcome to the forum! 

Anyways, I'm by far an expert when it comes to planting fruit trees, but I can offer as much advice as I know.  We planted apple trees on our properties this year...Two on each.  As far as I know, you need at least two different trees to pollinate, and that some pollinate better than others.  We planted an apple crisp and a crab apple together on both properties.  Next year we're putting more in.  I'm sure there are guys on here that know more about this subject and will chime in soon enough here. 

Best of luck, and looking forward to hearing more from you!
QDM!

ranwin33

RE: which apple trees

Postby ranwin33 » Mon Oct 26, 2009 10:54 am

Try your local garden stores and home improvement stores at the end of the season.  I was able to pick up several good sized apple trees from our local Home Depot for $5 each.  Trees were 7-8 foot tall and 1.5 inches in diameter at base.
“There are two spiritual dangers in not owning a farm. One is the danger of supposing that breakfast comes from the grocery, and the other that heat comes from the furnace.”
Aldo Leopold

Return to Natural Habitat Enhancements