Spreading Lime - How To?

Your place to discuss ways the habitats for deer can be improved!
deerdown

Spreading Lime - How To?

Postby deerdown » Mon Mar 16, 2009 6:04 am

I live in a non-agricultural area of the world and spreading by the delivery truck of bulk lime is not an option.  I can pick it up myself for much cheaper price than bagged but I am trying to come up with an effective way of sreading it over about 2 acres without too much back wrenching!  area is accessible by ATV and possibly truck if it's dry enough.  I was hoping to spread in the spring B4 planting.  Anyone else have this problem or have suggestions?

Goose

RE: Spreading Lime - How To?

Postby Goose » Mon Mar 16, 2009 7:09 am

Well that sucks! depending on how much lime you need per acre your in for alot of spreading!
Drop fertilizer spreaders will work best. I've heard broadcast spreaders do not work well....I have used my regular broadcast spreader with lime in my yard and had no problems but your tackling something alot bigger.
A guy I know uses his salt spreader on his truck and swears it works great but I have not done it or seen it so I cant say for sure it works great but he says it does and I have no reason not to believe him.
Jake

Genesis 27:3 Take your bow and quiver full of arrows out into the open country, and hunt some wild game.....

deerdown

Postby deerdown » Mon Mar 16, 2009 7:20 am

I hear ya! 

When you say drop fertilizer what do you mean.

Yeah someone with a sand/salt truck might be a great plan.  Like you said should be no reason for it not to work ... that stuff is pretty heavy and dense.

Goose

Postby Goose » Mon Mar 16, 2009 10:33 am

http://www.scottsprofessional.com/en/range/34

Thats a drop spreader, it just drops the product rather than broadcasting it. Like you said the lime is dense and causes problems with broadcast spreaders.
Jake

Genesis 27:3 Take your bow and quiver full of arrows out into the open country, and hunt some wild game.....

northernVT

Postby northernVT » Mon Mar 16, 2009 1:51 pm

Hey guys. I don't know what you are using to bring the lime out to the field with, but a friend of mine just climbs into his trailer with the lime and a leaf blower and blows the lime onto the field out of the trailer. He usually looks like a ghost when he is done, but he keeps doing it and it gets the lime on the field.  Just a thought outside the box. Good luck with this.

deerdown

Postby deerdown » Mon Mar 16, 2009 2:36 pm

Another interesting idea!  Thanks VT

Demoderby4

Postby Demoderby4 » Mon Mar 16, 2009 5:38 pm

I was gonna ask the same question! Good idea's, thanks!
Matt Cain
SE MI

Them Darned ol' deer.

msbadger

Postby msbadger » Tue Mar 17, 2009 2:44 am

They have plans ..on how to make a lime speader ...I tryed to link it but could'nt ...so google "how to make a lime spreader" its the first one..

Got lucky neighbor found a PTO spreader that we will share....I'll get the truck to bring it in and we will use our backhoe bucket to load the lime and their tractor to spread it.....because it packs tight we will layer it with the needed granular fertalizer so that when the awger mixes it the granuals will loosen the lime as it spreads...It holds 600Lbs but we'll spead half that at a time as to not tax tractor or gear box

msbadger

Postby msbadger » Tue Mar 17, 2009 10:38 am

Well went and bought the spreader...acually let her buy it and I will truck the lime in...Called AUP and they said that to deliver lime it is a 33ton min....well I don't need 33ton...lol any how I can go with a low sided truck and pick it up for 25 dollars per ton...not bad...they sell granular bagged lime for 4.19 a #50 bag so pulverized ag lime it is...6-24-24 fertalizer is 17.00 a 50lb bag ...they supply every one around here [>:] so finding deals isn't an option...well the pto spreader cost 275.00 new ones sell for almost 500.00 ...she got a good deal

deerdown

Postby deerdown » Tue Mar 17, 2009 3:21 pm

Sounds like you're all set msbadger.  Same trouble with bulk lime for me ... that's a lot of lime all at once!  Nice to have the bucket for loading I bet ... very jealous :)

Next

Return to Natural Habitat Enhancements