Spreading Lime - How To?

Your place to discuss ways the habitats for deer can be improved!
msbadger

RE: Spreading Lime - How To?

Postby msbadger » Thu Mar 19, 2009 1:44 am

Wow deerdown I really don't know how we ever did without the backhoe....I dig out stumps in the plots ...boulders...dig drainage ditches...bury ours and another local deceased pets and or livestock...and you can't beat it for planting trees...even dug a couple of holes for  friends to put in an outhouse for their camps...they drill holes in one plastic barrel and line it in layers with charcoal and pea gravel that goes in first then they took out the bottom and top of 2nd barrel and put that on top of first...back filled with gravel and sand then filled rest of back fill with dirt and placed out house over the whole thing ...works great and no smell...but they lime it 2 times a year....I also have the town drop off the dirt and gravel they dig out of drainage ditches and I use that as fill in areas on my trails that aren't quite right...too big a dip in some...saves us a bunch of money   

GTOHunter

Postby GTOHunter » Mon Apr 13, 2009 3:21 pm

We have spread the smaller pelletized lime with the seed spreader on the Tractor and ATV also..takes a little more time but it works.I have also spread the lime by hand in the smaller food plots.If you don't buy the lime in large amount you can't get a pull type lime spreader from our local MFA. [&:]

milkie62

Postby milkie62 » Sun Oct 25, 2009 1:03 pm

I bought the 42" drop fertilizer spreader that Lowes sells for $179 two yrs ago.It has a 175 lb capacity.I used a 1/2" drill bit to enlarge the holes so it would drop faster.It can even be towed behind a small riding mower if need be if you do not have an ATV.I use it on my secluded plots where i cannot get a truck or tractor into.Plus in the woods where there are alot of leaves my ph was in the low 4's so the bigger holes help bring it up to 6.8 faster.Now I only need to do maintenance liming every year to keep it in check.

Previous

Return to Natural Habitat Enhancements