How are your plots growing?

Your place to discuss ways the habitats for deer can be improved!
msbadger

RE: How are your plots growing?

Postby msbadger » Tue Aug 18, 2009 8:29 am

I went to school for recreational land management and Mr B. went to school for forestry...niether went into those fields but we retained what we paid for [;)]( drop spelling & typing from that statement [8D]) 
 I do have to say though I read alot ...and state field guides ....and of all things nursery catalogs are a great source of info...Musser trees is a great one as well as Carlo trees...Raintree nurseries in Origon...all on the web 

DoeEyed

Postby DoeEyed » Tue Aug 18, 2009 7:53 pm

I C Thanks for the info msbadger and ranwin also!
All I have seen teaches me to trust the Creator for all I have not seen ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson

shadow

Postby shadow » Fri Aug 21, 2009 11:57 am

Well, as I stated in my small plot size post..I tilled up the my plot area last Sat., and since then it had been very hot and dry. We were supposed to get rain on Wed., night into yesterday and today but no rain came. I went ahead and broadcast the seed Wed,(secret spot) with hopes of the rain coming but nothing. I put down the whole 4 lb bag which is listed as being able to seed 4,500 square feet. From my calculations my area is 1,600 SF.about 40x35-40 feet Anyway I went there today and noticed 10-20 birds eating the seed. And now, it started to rain..it is coming downin buckets.

Will the birds have eatin so much of the seed that I will now need to put more down, and what about the heavy rain, will that have washed out the seed or anything??

msbadger

Postby msbadger » Tue Aug 25, 2009 4:21 am

Shadow ..sorry saw this so late...I also put down secret spot and the rain hit it hard....to be honest only a little clover and a few blades from the annual rye came up...but this plot has very little sun due to the seasonal angle of the sun....and it will need to be a logging road ...either this winter or next spring...so I took a gamble....as far as the birds go ...it's mostly the grain seed I think theyed have eaten....when I planted that experiment corn plot , I thought for sure nothing would have survived the critters ..but it's taller than me now and pretty thick....good luck ...lets us know....you should be seeing some resaults by now

shadow

Postby shadow » Tue Aug 25, 2009 6:00 am

Thanks for the response msbadger, I put the seed down last wed., so it hasn't yet been a week. I was there on Sunday and saw no sprouts yet..or birds and I will be getting back there again maybe thursday or friday. By then I should see something, it has at least 8 hours of sun so it should grow well. All I need now is a bit more rain.

msbadger

Postby msbadger » Fri Sep 11, 2009 2:30 am

Hey everyone well season is upon many of us....How have the fall crops survived?...I had to pull our 2 billy goats out of one of my turnip plots so I took pics of it....One of the goats is well over 200# (a boer goat) and he learned to use his huge horns and neck to rip lrg holes in the american fencing [>:]....He luvs turnips

This is NOT a complaint...day after taking these pics the turnip plot wilted(yesterday)...no rain for 2 wks...but it's due today so I'm not worried..We've been eating greens and turnips...pretty tasty....The sweet corn I mixed with the field corn has ears on it...it was 4-5 year old seed I was getting rid of...figures...lol

="http://i304.photobucket.com/albums/nn200/madbadger/IMG_0663.jpg" border="0" alt="Photobucket"></a>

="http://i304.photobucket.com/albums/nn200/madbadger/IMG_0668.jpg" border="0" alt="Photobucket"></a>

shadow

Postby shadow » Sun Sep 13, 2009 10:58 am

This little area was planted on Aug., 19th with Secret Spot. Since then we've had only 3-4 days with any good amount of rain. It stopped raining here last night so these should really take off and grow.

I have not seen any deer activity in this plot yet.... they seem to be walking right by it though.
Here are the before and after photo's. Will these plants need to mature more to become attractive to the deer??

msbadger

Postby msbadger » Sun Sep 13, 2009 3:05 pm

Congrats Shadow.... that plots looking pretty darn nice[:)]....Remember if they aren't use to braccs it can take a bit.... but make sure your on that plot right after your first frost...looking good ...luck to ya[;)]

buckhunter21

Postby buckhunter21 » Mon Sep 14, 2009 8:17 am

Echo those previous comments.  Not sure exactly what's all in secret spot, but the deer usually don't hit the braccs till after the first frost, when the starches in the leaves turn to sugar.
QDM!

Stickman

Postby Stickman » Mon Sep 14, 2009 1:09 pm

My clover plot producing good all summer, we have been recieving rain nearly every week all summer long so the clover never went into summer dormancy. Deer have been hammering it all summer. My soybeans are 5 ft tall and almost completely filled out. I have had a real problem getting them to maturity without the deer wiping them out. But I managed to do it. 

PreviousNext

Return to Natural Habitat Enhancements