How are your plots growing?

Your place to discuss ways the habitats for deer can be improved!
Swandog09

RE: How are your plots growing?

Postby Swandog09 » Tue Sep 15, 2009 7:06 am

We planted Buck Forage Oats at the end of Aug and it is is coming up pretty well considering we have not had much rain. 

At least we are getting some visitors

That's why they call it hunting and not getting

msbadger

Postby msbadger » Tue Sep 22, 2009 5:51 am

Thank the heavens...that rain we were suppose to get...then got a few drops....has finally arrived...now a few days of rain would be a good thing...nice and gentle....even the weeds in the woods were all wilted....it's been 3wks

cdn1

Postby cdn1 » Wed Sep 23, 2009 3:49 am

Well this was my first year for food plotting and have to say It didn't go as well as I hoped it would. The weather didn't help. couldn't get on the fields untill early June cause of all the rain. Got the Tractor stuck twice,I disked the first plot, should have plowed.
Planted Mossy oak premium perenial didn't come up well, should have fertilized first.
Second plot august 1st roto tilled about 1/8 acre planted biologic Maximum has not come up well either or the deer have eaten it down fast. used a 6-24-24 should have used something with more nitrogen.
Then planted rye grain 2 acres on the labour day long weekend and didn't get rain for 21 days went to see what was growning last weeked. Zippo.
So I planted 2 more acres in rye in another plot and now all I can do is pray.

We have finally got rain, came on Monday and has been raining on and off for 3 days
hopefully that will get the rye growing and I will have something for the deer in late season.
All and All though it was kinda fun just wish I had better results. I have learned a bunch and will do a better job of fertilizing next year. I will frost seed clover into the rye in the spring and cut the rye or plow it under for green manure and plant buckwheat or something else.
lessons learned:

soil prep is key.

seeds with deer on the bag are expensive.

weather is a big factor

It is lots of work but still fun and I'm glad I don't do it for my livelyhood.
Cdn1

buckhunter21

Postby buckhunter21 » Wed Sep 23, 2009 7:20 pm

cdn1, let me tell you, it's a learning curve here when planting food plots, especially if you don't have any prior experience (farming, etc).  i was fortunate enough to grow up on a hobby farm and along with helping my father, i'd help the neighboring farmers with planting, harvesting, etc....and i'm still learning things!  i love it though, and i'm sure you will too...keep it up!!!!  just make notes of what went right/wrong and adjust for next time!!!
QDM!

cdn1

Postby cdn1 » Thu Sep 24, 2009 1:32 am

Sounds like good advise buckhunter. I hope that my rye grain comes up well after this rain. It would make me feel better about my efforts. Huge learning curve to this food plot thing. I figured it was just stir the dirt and throw seed a watch the deer flock to my nice green food plots. There seems to be a little more to it. I will keep trying, I learned a good bit this year and will work harder to do better next year.
Cdn1

buckhunter21

Postby buckhunter21 » Thu Sep 24, 2009 7:48 am

That's all you can ask for....Learn from your mistakes, but when you're out there doing it, enjoy every minute of it!!!!!
QDM!

shadow

Postby shadow » Sun Sep 27, 2009 6:24 am

Well the deer are eating my Secret Spot. I hope this area lasts for a few more weeks.

MsB... if the leaves of the plants are just munched on as opposed to the deer ripping it all out of the
ground will it regrow?

Here are a couple pictures,  I had a good show of them feeding while I was in my stand waiting to take a doe. I circled one picture and if you look close you can see me in my stand.
No good shot though. Maybe next week.
Next year I will certainly be expanding the plot size. Instead of measuring it in feet (now around 40'x40'), it will be in yards, still not huge, but it'll be much larger than it is now.

msbadger

Postby msbadger » Sun Sep 27, 2009 11:10 am

Shadow...first...great to see how your hard work is paying off....and good concealment you have there....Yes when they graze it.... it will grow back ...they shouldn't start digging the turnips out of until a snow fall ...some will get pulled but not to hurt the spot...after a frost it will get pretty mowed...the nice thing...now they know this is a dinner table they like and will return ...bringing company...... looks like it could also be a spot that could become a staging area with all the brush near by for the doe to duck in and out of...Best of luck[:)]

GTOHunter

Postby GTOHunter » Sun Sep 27, 2009 4:52 pm

I planted a food plot of rape,turnip brassicas,purple top turnips and sugar beets in early September,so far it is growing very well and we have been getting some really nice rains here in Missouri that will help in making them thick and green! [;)]  

Nice pictures of Your food plot Shadow...and its cool to see You in the background with all those Deer browesing a few yards away!  I like to plant different food sources for the Deer because the Deer have more choice and you can find out what they like more than certain other plants.For smaller food plot the brassicas and turnips will keep growing even after they have been browsed on and un-like soybeans once the Deer mowed them down they are pretty well done for unless you plant a lot of them.  

tbone

Postby tbone » Mon Oct 05, 2009 4:34 pm

Plot is coming in geat this year. Winter wheat and turnips.

Hunting safe, all the time.

PreviousNext

Return to Natural Habitat Enhancements