OATES

Your place to discuss ways the habitats for deer can be improved!
hilltop

OATES

Postby hilltop » Wed Oct 21, 2009 5:39 am

I planted oates this year for the first time. They are doing well and the deer are using them well also. My question is do they get dormant like winter wheat or will it continue to mature or will it just die with cold and frost. Anyone know ?

ranwin33

RE: OATES

Postby ranwin33 » Wed Oct 21, 2009 6:43 am

My experience is that it dies.
“There are two spiritual dangers in not owning a farm. One is the danger of supposing that breakfast comes from the grocery, and the other that heat comes from the furnace.”
Aldo Leopold

buckhunter21

Postby buckhunter21 » Wed Oct 21, 2009 1:10 pm

The oats are a great attactant, especially in the late fall/early winter when their feeding options are few and far between.  As far as what will happen....Once the first frost hits they'll die just like most other annuals.  But just because they die doesn't mean they aren't attrative....I compare oats to soybeans.  Leave 'em up in the late fall/early winter and the deer will be all over them, depending on what other food sources are available nearby!

Best of luck!
QDM!

Goose

Postby Goose » Thu Oct 22, 2009 3:03 am

As stated they will die with the oncoming frost.
I would recommend Winter Rye. Its the same as far as attractiveness, more hardy than wheat,recycles nitrogen for the following crop, and also is a great weed suppressor.
Jake

Genesis 27:3 Take your bow and quiver full of arrows out into the open country, and hunt some wild game.....

Return to Natural Habitat Enhancements