green fields

Your place to discuss ways the habitats for deer can be improved!
bamadeerhunter4

green fields

Postby bamadeerhunter4 » Fri Sep 25, 2009 6:10 pm

I planted my green fields with a buck mix [clover oaks wheat ect] about 4 weeks ago. Now its about 6 inches high now due 2 all the rain in alabama. We got 3weeks till bow season opens. should I mow the grass or let it grow . Acorns are about to start droping . Deer aint gonna touch the greens till the acorns are gone . At the rate im going the grasswill be knee high by november. Will mowing my green fields kill the grass????????????????????????????????????????????
let spikes walk

msbadger

RE: green fields

Postby msbadger » Sat Sep 26, 2009 2:29 am

Mow it leaving 6-8 in...so hold off a bit until it's a little taller.....oats and wheat are like any other annual...it will keep growing to try and produce seed...as long as it hasn't headed out ...one mowing shouldn't hurt a thing...other than flatten it where the tires run ...but that should recover.....good luck this year

kykevin

Postby kykevin » Wed Oct 21, 2009 4:51 pm

If your seed mix has brassicas in it I wouldnt mow it. The oats and wheatshould be fine for mowing.
-=It's not a passion. It's an obsession.=--

Goose

Postby Goose » Thu Oct 22, 2009 2:38 am

I'm not understanding your question...
Are you asking about mowing the grain or do you have a grass problem in your plot?

If you are asking if you should mow your grains, I would assume that they were at a light enough rate in your mixture to just act as a nurse crop, so you shouldn't need to worry about it.

If your asking about mowing grass because it is invading your plot, mowing it will not kill it, as it will simply regrow.

Mowing broad leaf weeds will help keep them at bay but grasses are a different animal.
Jake

Genesis 27:3 Take your bow and quiver full of arrows out into the open country, and hunt some wild game.....

Return to Natural Habitat Enhancements