How Long after frost?

Your place to discuss ways the habitats for deer can be improved!
Blazed

How Long after frost?

Postby Blazed » Mon Oct 12, 2009 4:59 am

I have a great growth of 2 acres of Turnips and rape, and it frosted (froze) three times last week. The deer have not been hitting it at all, just occasionally (at night) walking through. How long after the frost until the start hitting it, Based from your experiences? 

ChuckNorris

RE: How Long after frost?

Postby ChuckNorris » Mon Oct 12, 2009 8:36 am

Too many factors to give a solid answer. The deer by me have been killing the greens all summer and have started to focus on the bulbs already!!!
It only takes one deer to change a hunt from disappointing to very satisfying.

ranwin33

Postby ranwin33 » Mon Oct 12, 2009 11:09 am

Just because the crops are there, doesn't mean the deer will eat them.  We had 1/4 acre turnip plot that went through the entire winter and the deer didn't touch it at all.  So who knows, maybe you've got deer like we do that just don't care all that much for turnips.
“There are two spiritual dangers in not owning a farm. One is the danger of supposing that breakfast comes from the grocery, and the other that heat comes from the furnace.”
Aldo Leopold

buckhunter21

Postby buckhunter21 » Mon Oct 12, 2009 6:26 pm

I would give it another week or two.  They first have to realize that hey, this tastes good, and also I don't think the braccs metabolize to sugar on the first frost.  That takes a few times as well....Plus, it's not too late in the season where this is their last resort.  There are other food sources out there right now as well.
QDM!

hunt4ever

Postby hunt4ever » Tue Oct 13, 2009 7:14 am

I have a food plot with brassica and turnip mixture.  It was supposed to be a mixture, but it ended up that most of the turnips grew on the outside edge which I planted last.  The seed was a couple years old and the turnip seed must have settled to the bottom, maybe it was bigger seed.  The next time, I guess I should shake the bag to mix the seed better before broadcasting it.  It is not a problem, I was just surprised when they came up and started to grow.  The plot came in very thick, although I had a mustard weed problem for about a month or so which I fixed with a weed whacker, and the deer didn't touch either, ref. the 1st two photos attached.  Because of what I was told on this forum, I also wasn't expecting any interest until a couple of frost.  Goose was a big help, especially when it comes to turnips.  I quickly found out that Goose is a "guru" on turnips and appreciated his help.  Anyway, on or about 2 Oct., I noticed all of a sudden the deer were eating the tops of the turnips. We have not really had a frost here in Upstate NY and am wondering what triggered the sudden interest in turnip tops. Reference photo Sept 24 - no deer activity and 2 Oct. deer eating turnip tops only.   The deer still couldn't care less about the Brassica.   This food plot is located just below my tree house that I am in the process of expanding from 6'x6' to 6'x14' and was in it yesterday afternoon until dark.  Just before dark, up from the swamp came 3 small bucks with 5" spikes that chomped at the turnip tops until well after dark.   They were identical and must assume they were yearling triplets which may explain their small size.  If they are triplets that is great, but am concerned with their size.  I have them on trail cams many-many times, but thought they were the same spike, but I guess not.  Questions:  Is it early for deer to be hitting the turnip tops, (2) I assume they will be interested in the Brassica after a frost or two, right? and lastly, (3) since the 3 spikes came out of the swamp together and they look identical, can I assume they are triplets and should I be concerned with the size ImageImage  Comments please and happy hunting, [size="4"]Tom Mac[/size]
I would be unstoppable...If I could just get going!

ranwin33

Postby ranwin33 » Tue Oct 13, 2009 8:39 am

If they'er eating the turnip tops then it's not too early.  We get some volunteer turnips and brasicas from previous season plantings show up on occasion and deer seem to eat them pretty much all year round.  I know they're suppose to turn sweet after a frost, but our deer don't seem to care one way or another. 

If you have three spikes showing up together and looking pretty much the same, then yes you may have triplets.  I wouldn't be concerned about their size, let them grow a few more years and see what happens with them.  I had a trio of small 8's show up on a food plot opening weekend of bow season - didn't occur to me at the time but I guess they might have been triplets as well.  I figure one of the three will most likely survive the season so I'm hoping to see what they become next year too. 
“There are two spiritual dangers in not owning a farm. One is the danger of supposing that breakfast comes from the grocery, and the other that heat comes from the furnace.”
Aldo Leopold

Deadon

Postby Deadon » Thu Oct 22, 2009 2:31 am

For some reason, the deer hit my turnips before frost each year.  They hit them hard after frost, but seem to love them whenever.  Just a great crop for deer plots.

Return to Natural Habitat Enhancements