over baiting?

Your place to discuss ways the habitats for deer can be improved!
SwampFox

over baiting?

Postby SwampFox » Wed Oct 07, 2009 10:03 am

I have a few resident deer coming to my corn and I've recently added some deer cane minerals.  I've been collecting acorns from the trees around my house and trying to fill a few five gallon buckets.  I was thinking of pouring these around my stand.  I figured more food = more deer.  I'm having second thoughts though.  Is it posible to over bait the area?  I was wondering if it would really draw more deer or will the resident deer just gourge themselves in one visit and have no reason to return for a while?  I have deer coming to my stand pretty regularly and I don't want to mess it up by giving them to much to eat, if thats even possible.  Any thoughts?

charlie

RE: over baiting?

Postby charlie » Wed Oct 07, 2009 12:43 pm

i used to dump a pile of corn and spread the rest of the bag about every other day. after a while the deer would not hit it as much
even with Buck Grub mixed in i wouldn't go over board.  just my result.  good luck

passin through

Postby passin through » Wed Oct 07, 2009 2:09 pm

Its possible to do.....IMO you want to feed enough to keep them interested but not go in there back and forth making several trips keeping piles out & spreading scent around.  Spread it out a bunch too...
One thing else that will hurt you is if you suddenly have people pop up all around you feeding mass amounts....this spreads the deer out...the deer don't have to come to just your place in that kind of instance.
It matters not the weapon nor its caliber, rather the caliber of the one who wields it.

ranwin33

Postby ranwin33 » Thu Oct 08, 2009 8:20 am

I think you answered your own question when you said you didn't want to mess up what you've got going by giving them too much to eat. 

If what you're doing now is working, why mess with it.
“There are two spiritual dangers in not owning a farm. One is the danger of supposing that breakfast comes from the grocery, and the other that heat comes from the furnace.”
Aldo Leopold

Cut N Run

Postby Cut N Run » Mon Oct 12, 2009 10:25 am

Deer are pounding the acorns by me and there is a bumper crop this year too. Once the acorn numbers get eaten down, you might find more visits to your corn. 

I feed the deer every day here at my house and their numbers always drop off when acorns (their favorite food) are falling.  Be consistent in keeping food at the same location and they will clean it up for you.  Be careful that you don't leave much scent behind and don't visit the site during peak feeding times or they could start coming to eat at night.  Make sure you spread the corn out over a broad area, it will cause them to stay around longer looking for it and the corn is less likely to get wet and mold.

Jim
Luck Counts, good or bad

Return to Natural Habitat Enhancements