too many trees and very little browse on property

Your place to discuss ways the habitats for deer can be improved!
supaman63687

too many trees and very little browse on property

Postby supaman63687 » Tue Oct 06, 2009 4:30 pm

first of all we have a camp located in the mountains. I dont know exactly what kind of trees they are but our property is littered with these thin but tall growing trees on our property.During the summer there is very little or no sunlight penetrating the forest floor.with no light there mean no browse for the deer to eat except on the lodging roads and clearing. so my question what can i do to produce more browse for the deer to eat?

DoeEyed

RE: too many trees and very little browse on property

Postby DoeEyed » Tue Oct 06, 2009 6:24 pm

Do some clear cutting or selective cutting of the trees to let the sunlight in.
All I have seen teaches me to trust the Creator for all I have not seen ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson

ranwin33

Postby ranwin33 » Wed Oct 07, 2009 3:15 am

ORIGINAL: DoeEyed

Do some clear cutting or selective cutting of the trees to let the sunlight in.

I second that - provided you own the property.

Also, learn what type of trees you have, and do some selective cutting as well. 
“There are two spiritual dangers in not owning a farm. One is the danger of supposing that breakfast comes from the grocery, and the other that heat comes from the furnace.”
Aldo Leopold

buckhunter21

Postby buckhunter21 » Wed Oct 07, 2009 9:18 am

It doesn't sound like these are quality trees, but rather junk trees, just from what you've said.  One thing you could do, is bring a forester or even the DNR in to see what they recommend.  If these are indeed junk trees, start knocking them down and plant oaks and other trees conducive to good deer habitat.  When you do this, I'd recommend doing this in stages so you don't have the whole property bare at the same time.  Depending on the size of the property, maybe cut 1/3rd of it this year, plant, then two years from now do it again, etc, etc....This way you should have different sections of growth, which could be great transition areas for deer and other habitat.
QDM!

69Viking

Postby 69Viking » Wed Oct 07, 2009 9:32 am

There was an article in D&DH a while back that recommended clear cutting 10% of your land every year or two so that you always had new growth and then different maturity stages of your forrest. It also talked about selective cutting of trees that provided no benefit to deer and planting trees such as oaks that would provide mast and pines that woud provide bedding areas. I would also clear out some areas and plant some perrienial food plots to attract deer year round.

kykevin

Postby kykevin » Wed Oct 07, 2009 2:25 pm

A chainsaw is a deer managers best friend
-=It's not a passion. It's an obsession.=--

supaman63687

Postby supaman63687 » Wed Oct 07, 2009 2:38 pm

thanks for the responses i greatly appreciate them. for some more ideas i am working with about 165 acres with no agriculture area surrouding our property(there is a 60 acre field a joining our property but the owner get paid not to plant crops) so i was wondering if food plots would help the browse grow while the deer are eating in the food plot. Also, i have 7 food plot areas picked out.One 1 acre plot and the rest are 1/2 acre or less do you think this is enough acreage for 165 acres? i think this will help in attracting more deer from surrounding properties because of lack of food? Any food plot seed ideas?

DoeEyed

Postby DoeEyed » Wed Oct 07, 2009 9:01 pm

clover, rape, turnip & soybeans seem to be the most popular
All I have seen teaches me to trust the Creator for all I have not seen ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson

ranwin33

Postby ranwin33 » Thu Oct 08, 2009 8:17 am

I have always heard that 5-10% of your property should be planted in food plots, so that would be between 8 and 16 acres on your property.  If you truly have no agricultural fields in the area, then I would error on the high side, which would be 4x the amount of area you currently have planned.

If it were me, I'd stick with the 6 or so smaller plots to hunt from, and put in a couple of really good sized ones as non-hunting feeder plots. 

Seeds - go with perrenials in the largest plots, far less work in the long run.
“There are two spiritual dangers in not owning a farm. One is the danger of supposing that breakfast comes from the grocery, and the other that heat comes from the furnace.”
Aldo Leopold

impeach O

Postby impeach O » Wed Dec 29, 2010 7:18 pm

try hinge cutting the trees, have a partner push the trees over into a pile as you hinge them creating cover-browse and the additional light will encourage understory-forb growth. stagger half acer cuts.
my greatest fear in life is when I die my wife will sell my hunting equipment for what she thinks I spent

Next

Return to Natural Habitat Enhancements