too many trees and very little browse on property

Your place to discuss ways the habitats for deer can be improved!
msbadger

RE: too many trees and very little browse on property

Postby msbadger » Tue Jan 04, 2011 8:58 am

I wonder what he decided to do....I'd have liked to know how old he was and type of mountain terrain the parcel is.....very tall thin trees does not mean "junk" trees....he mentioned a "lodging road" which I'll assume he meant logging road...That tells me he has regrowth going on ...now experience on our properties ...especially with the hard maple forest...maples will produce ...what I refer to as  stands of slashings...a tightly grouped area of trees that thin themselves naturally if left alone...(the ash do the same...excellent source of income from fire wood...if not in an Ash Borer area)...which for future logging is a good thing...this produces trees with minimal  scarring from from branch growth...increasing the timber value and increasing chances of veneer logs down the road...but this is for the younger manager....it also produces in a hard wood forest good fire wood...I know we're all about deer and wild life management ..but land comes with inherent costs....TAXES...ever increasing....one needs to look toward the future in off setting these costs as well as managing for wildlife.....the ones that don't ...I see in Tax sales [;)]

prohunter

RE: too many trees and very little browse on property

Postby prohunter » Thu Feb 10, 2011 4:08 pm

I think i would get a someone in your area that knows trees like a timber man or someone that knows speices of trees .So they can mark the trees that need thinning. Or get book on trees like i did and do it yourself ,i've allways thought i could do little of what someone eles could do alot of. jim
take your kids hunting and you wont have to hunt your kids.

Previous

Return to Natural Habitat Enhancements