CRP cover and thick woods

Your place to discuss ways the habitats for deer can be improved!
backwaterdogs

CRP cover and thick woods

Postby backwaterdogs » Sun Oct 04, 2009 2:49 am

Been hunting deer for sometime, but wouldn't consider myself an extremely successful one (sad to say!) at least for big bucks.

Anyway, I have a small piece of land, just under 80 acres with alot of road frontage,  I now how all but 7 of the 50 acres that was once tillable in one crp program or another.

The lastest was 120ft strip of grass around all the edges of woods.  The grass has come in great, tall and thick (canadian wild rye, big blue, indian grass and couple patches of swtich that you can barley walk thru.  the woods were this borders is also pretty, thick, though unfortuanately mostly crap timber (black locust, mulberry, etc) and lots of multifloral rose, honeysuckle, etc, can barley walk thru it either.

What I'm concerned about now, is that the deer traffic has seemed to slow since, still see some trails thru the grass, but much less concentrated.  Same with the woods, my stand by trails don't seem to be getting much use now.

Such a thing as too much/too thick of cover?  The 7 acres left is mostly alfalfa and put in some rye in september and the property is surrounded by corn and beans.

bowhuntingbiker

RE: CRP cover and thick woods

Postby bowhuntingbiker » Mon Oct 05, 2009 2:28 pm

Hopefully when the corn comes off you will see more deer activity in the woods and grass. Sometimes the deer stay in the corn almost around the clock. If there is water on your property, try looking there if you have not?? Good luck! BHB

ranwin33

RE: CRP cover and thick woods

Postby ranwin33 » Wed Oct 07, 2009 3:20 am

The description of your grass indicates an abundance of warm season grasses.  Once these get too thick, they can be set back by a late season burn.  This will help to make them more manageable and wildlife friendly.  But since they border your woods, you will need to be extremely careful.

Do some select cutting in your woods to help promote growth of more desireable trees, and you might also consider edge feathering your woods where they border the warm season grasses (after your burn of course). 

This might help some with your problem.

“There are two spiritual dangers in not owning a farm. One is the danger of supposing that breakfast comes from the grocery, and the other that heat comes from the furnace.”
Aldo Leopold

Return to Natural Habitat Enhancements